Sunshine Blogger Award| Third Time's the Charm + THE BOOK GODS SMILED UPON ME

I have been loving the weather. Where I live, Spring is softly sweeping through with warm rain and sunny mornings. To quote the popular fast food phrase: I'm lovin' it. I rearranged my little writing area to have more candles and flowers because Spring is in the air, and dangit, I'm going to embrace it hardcore. 
Look at that new life. HECK YEAH, SPRING!!!

Spring isn't my favorite season, but I am very excited for a change of weather (it feels like it's been gray and rainy for the past 5 years). Recently I've been celebrating all things Spring. One of which, is sunshine, which brings me to to the point of today's post.

Savannah, being the wonderful human that she is, tagged me for the *drumroll* Sunshine Blogger tag!!
Don't miss the first one.
Or the second one.
Do you own any signed books?
Why yes, yes I do. I own exactly two. 

The First Book: Even though I've gone to quite a few author signings (a post on that coming soon), I am not rich (a word which here means "I think I have a penny? Maybe. It might be a button"), and therefore do not own any of the books that were being signed. I instead checked out the books from the library and got them signed (which is technically vandalism, but I don't think anyone minds. ...Or knows.).
I went to a Marissa Meyers event and got the library copy of Cinder autographed, but alas, I did not have her signature for myself. Fast-forward to a couple days ago. I was at Goodwill, perusing the book section (where else would I be?), and I spotted a hardback copy of Cinder that looked to be in fantastic condition. So I bought it for $4. Guess what I found inside. 


THE BOOK GODS HAVE SMILED UPON ME.
At first I was skeptical, because someone could have forged it just for fun, BUT THEN, I found a shiny silver Barnes&Noble sticker that pronounced it official. 

The Second BookFor most of my reading career, Rick Riordan has been my favorite author. One of my closest friends was the best human ever and took me to a Rick Riordan event where I got a signed copy of his latest book, some merch, and GOT TO BE IN THE SAME ROOM AS HIM AND HEAR HIM SPEAK OMG OMG OMG. 
Under that book cover lies an illegible author signature. *dies*  

What are three of the prettiest books you own?
You know what they say: true beauty is on the inside. I believe this applies to books as well, so how can we truly rank a book's prettiness based on the outside? Just kidding. Of course I would love to judge books based on their cover. It's one of my favorite pastimes. 


BEAUTY. 
In fact, the entire Illuminae book is just a visual masterpiece. I will sometimes take it down from my shelf, flip through it's beautiful pages, and do my best to forget what life before it was like.

That one corner SLAYS me.
I only recently noticed the detail and absolute beauty of this book cover. Also, you know, RAVEN BOYS FOREVER (which is coincidentally what will be engraved on my tomb stone). I cannot believe that I missed my chance to meet the author. She was at a bookstore near me before I had read the series (as you can imagine, this still haunts my dreams)


I have not read Heartless. I do not know whether or not I like Heartless. But I love the cover.
  • It's in really good condition.
  • and being a poor bookdragon with a small mole-hill of funds instead of the mountain-sized wealth required to buy nice books, I must settle for used paperbacks. My definition of "treat yo self" is splurging for a Slightly Used instead of a Very Used. 
  • Also, raise your hand if you are a fan of simple book covers.
  • It's classy, sleek, but still interesting to look at (omg I sound like an ad)
What are five of your favorite blogs?
My problem with this question is that I don't want to leave anyone out!! But I suppose, I will have to pick favorites because that is the life I have chosen. *dramatic sigh*
  1. Paper Fury. OMG, QUEEN. SLAY. ON FLEEK. AWESOME-SAUCE (and here we see the extent of my knowledge of "hip" phrases). I am obsessed with her blog. It never fails to make me laugh, and she is so sweet! She is truly the Blogging Queen.
  2. Acoustic Erin. I get so excited when she posts. 90% of the time, her posts are exactly what I need to read at that moment. Her posts have a kind of laidback feeling that is really nice. It feels very personal. Also, us #Slytherins have to stick together (I just realized that Cait is Slytherin, too. HECK YEAH. Slytherins are awesome.)
  3. A Writer's Faith. What is it with me and blogs about writing? idk. It's not like I'm a writer or anything. Katie's blog is a conglomeration of her life, her writing, and hilarity. She is a Hufflepuff (this is good news because it means I am not discriminatory against all the other houses)
  4. Scattered Scribblings. Savannah is so sweet! Her blog is full of writerly things, her life, and book reviews. I love her vlogs (I think all book bloggers should do vlogs. Except for me. A+ decision), and she tags me for stuff, which is very kind (guess who tagged me for this??)
  5. Burning Youth. First of all THEIR INSTAGRAM IS FLAWLESS. Whenever I hop on over there, I get so inspired to climb a mountain or jump into the ocean (and I live in a cold state. That is not an urge I get often). That blog has really found it's purpose, and is working it hardcore. Whoever started it has been smiled upon by the blogging gods. 
If you could re-write the ending of one book, which book would it be?
Image result for all the bright places

THIS BOOK BROKE MY HEART. I AM STILL NOT OKAY. It has been months since I read this, and every time I think of it, I just get sad and mad. 


Though it is a kind of "I want to rewrite it, but at the same time I wouldn't" answer. I just really wanted them to be happy, but unfortunately, the author saw fit to do a little dance of sadness on my heart. 
Image result for hold me like a breath

I would rewrite everything about this book. I love the idea, but it was executed so poorly. This was one of the most annoying books I have ever read. The premise has so much potential, but it is butchered! I seriously might take a stab (haha, because it's about murder! whatever. I'm hilarious) at writing something like it. Uncommon fairytale + mafia + MURDER = the best book ever. 

What is the last movie you watched, and what did you think of it?

I've seen this movie more times than is probably healthy. It's one of my favorite movies ever (then again, most Marvel movies are. I LIVE AND BREATH FOR MARVEL). They're just a bunch of unsupervised idiots. That's the whole movie. 
Friendship goals right here. 
How did you come up with the title for your blog?
It's actually a really underwhelming story. A friend was helping me set up my blog (that I started on a whim, btw), and we were struggling for a name, so we just put something random as the name (a very reliable way to name things. My firstborn will be named in a similar fashion.). An Odd Blog came out of nowhere, but it stuck, and I personally feel like it fits. 

What's one of your favorite memories from 2017 (so far)?
I would like to preface this memory with the fact that I am not an arsonist. I am not a psychopath. 
But: Towards the end of January, the building next to my father's business caught fire. It was 10:30 when we rushed out the door to go make sure that his business wasn't burning down, too. When we got there, my dad disappeared to take care of his business, leaving my sister  (shameless promotion because LOOK AT WHAT SHE CAN DO) and I to stand on the sidewalk and watch the fire. 
Since Dad's business was next to the fire, we got to go closer than the other people who came out to watch. Let me paint you a picture: A four story building engulfed in smoke, flashing with flames. Slowly but surely, everything burned away to the bare skeleton of what it used to be. Columns of coal-black smoke coughed up from the flames, sparks shimmering into the air. I'm not going to lie. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Think of it as the most brilliant sunset you've ever seen multiplied by 10. - An excerpt from my journal.
The adrenaline and freezing January air kept me shivering the entire night. We went home around 1:00 am, and I was still dusting ash from my hair the next morning. 

How is a raven like a writing desk?
Philosophers all throughout time have pondered this question, almost more than "Why did the chicken cross the road?" But the actions of suspicious poultry do not interest me, and I would rather just have the writing desk than think about it (I need a new desk anyway. My last one was not very reliable).



Do you prefer writing by hand or typing?  
Typing. For sure. My hand cramps up if I hand-write something longer than half a page, though my hand also cramps up if I write more than a page and a half on my laptop. What I would really prefer is if I could hire someone to write all my stories exactly the way I want them while feeding me. Now that is what I would prefer. 

What's a story you'd like someone to do a re-telling of?
So many.
  • Chinese mythology.
  • African mythology.
  • ALL THE MYTHOLOGY.
  • Uncommon fairytales.
  • Classics (like Great Expectations or Oliver Twist) but in space. 
  • Space everything.
  • Willy Wonka in a modern day setting. I want to see him battling legal issues and having to acquire food permits. Also, what do Oompa Loompas get payed? Or eat? I WANT TO KNOW. 
  • Basically every mainstream fairytale, but focused on something other than the romance. I want to know more about the godmother from Cinderella, I want to see Snow White actually being the villain. 
  • I just really love fairytales, but I also really don't care about smooching. Give me better retellings. 
  • I would love to see dragons retold in a better light. Like, if they are as intelligent as some books claim they are, then why can't they have book clubs?? And get together to have tea and crumpets?? Can't they have lives, too? 
OH OH OH!!
 Image result for dragon slippers book

I adore the representation of dragons in this book.

Okay, that's all I got for you today. Thank you again to Savannah! This was a really fun tag.

I tag: Olivia @ Meanwhile, In Rivendell 
&
     

Do you own any autographed books? What is your favorite book that you own (or favorite-ish. Picking a favorite would require a powerpoint presentation and at least two years to decide)? What is a retelling you would love to see? How do you think a raven is like a writing desk? (I need your help on this one).
Toodlepip

Comments

  1. "I would love to see dragons retold in a better light. Like, if they are as intelligent as some books claim they are, then why can't they have book clubs?? And get together to have tea and crumpets?? Can't they have lives, too?"
    I kind of wonder why they are rarely given jobs. I can picture a steampunk world where dragons keep a steam engine's boiler hot. Perhaps something like that can be included in a retelling. Cinderella goes to the ball in a cucumber-turned-turned-steam engine, and her dragon friend (instead of mouse friend) drives it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a retelling I would devour!! Someone needs to write it. I just really want all the retellings with dragons. I can totally see a dragon mailman that has to be really careful to not burn up all the letters. XD

      Delete
  2. Hey, at least all the questions have been different all three times!! XD

    I got to meet Gail Carson Levine once a couple of years ago and she signed five books for me. (I own all of them *huggles books* My favorite book I own right now is the Wingfeather Saga and the Lunar Chronicles(still need to get Scarlet and Winter, though- Winter is just SO EXPENSIVE).

    Retelling of Robin Hood that gives it an entirely new take, please. And I would like to have a retelling of Theseus and the Minotaur that isn't The Hunger Games:P

    I still have no idea. So many people have creative answers. I don't. : D : P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's really fun because it's sooo changable. :)

      LUCKY!! Ella Enchanted is such a sweet book. I'm sure the author must be equally sweet. :) And I'm pretty sure that Winter is so expensive becAUSE IT'S THE SIZE OF A FRIDGE.

      YAS. A would love a really good, fresh take on Robin Hood.

      Delete
    2. There is hope! The paperback comes out in October or November. *screams and pulls out hair*

      Delete
    3. Nice! I'm sure bookworms all over the world will be looking forward to that day. :)

      Delete
  3. Also, Savannah's retelling of Snow White made her the villain, I think! *wants to read Savannah's book*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT. It's going to be so good. :)

      Delete
  4. After you read Heartless, the question "Why is a Raven like a writing desk" will be much more painful.
    -Mary Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWWW *BLUSHES* THIS MAKES MY DAY. YOU'RE THE NICEST. <3 And seriously that's AMAZING how you scored signed Cinder for $4. Like that's super lucky?! Congrats on that!! I do have a few signed books, but the most special one is Roseblood because AG Howard signed it personally to me. :') I have a few others that I won signed, but they're not personalised.

    And eeep I LOVE Guardians of the Galaxy too! It's hilarious.😂 Rocket is the best though.

    Also your list of retellings? YES PLEASE TO ALL OF THEM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm pretty sure I just used up all of my allotted luck in life. XD
      Ooo, that's awesome! I have yet to read Roseblood, but I know the author is so great.

      Small, fuzzy, and sarcastic? Rocket is my spirit animal. XD

      Right?? SOMEONE WRITE THEM PLEASE.

      Delete
  6. Oooooh!!! TAGS ARE FUN, AND TAGS ARE LOVELY!!!

    Whoa, I love the gorgeousness inside Illuminae!!!

    I NEED TO SEE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!!! Because Groot (question: why he is big in the first movie and just a smol Baby Groot in the second movie???? Does Big Groot DIE????) and Rocket Raccoon!!! I love raccoons...

    Oooooh! FIRE!!! I mean, also that is terrible that that happened??? And I'm very sorry and everything but it also sounds beautiful and surreal and lovely and a very fascinating experience generally! (And I'm so glad it wasn't your house because that wouldn't be awesome at all like how do I save all the stuff that I love??? There is books and papers and writing stuff and art and pictures I drew and keepsakes and letters from my penpal and dead grandparents and MY CLOTHES and stuffed animals and jewelry and other special stuff and oh, yeah, my baby brother and dog. IT WOULD JUST BE SO STRESSFUL OKAY??? So it's cool that it was just a business full of boring business stuff and not keepsakes and irreplaceables. Ahem.)

    EEEP YES FOR THE MYTHOLOGY AND THE FAIRYTALE RETELLINGS!! WE ARE OF ONE MIND, DUDE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ILLUMINAE IS EVERYTHING. BEAUTY.

      Ooo, don't think about why Groot is smaller too much! You know, spoilers and all that. XD Rocket is adorable.

      Yes, it is a very sad thing, BUT IT WAS ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING. Yeah, I can't imagine what it would have been like if it was my house. THAT'S JUST CRAZY.

      YES! ALL THE RETELLINGS AND MYTHOLOGY.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)

Popular Posts