Beautiful Books 2016: Introduce Your Novel || DANGER ZONE + Pirates

I know that I am a little late with this one, but whatevs. #rebel

We are in the midst of NaNoWriMo, but my book apparently still needs a proper introduction (pshh, no it's not because of procrastination. That would be very rude of me).





What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
Goodness, this novel was a strange idea at first. I first had the idea in 2012 after watching an episode of OUAT where Captain Hook was first introduced. I immediately went up to my room, my mind teeming with an idea of a character that I wanted to write about.


Describe what your novel is about!
"Sprig Jackson could not be more ordinary. She lives in an ordinary house with her ordinary family. But when she stumbles upon something in her attic that boasts of adventure beyond her wildest dreams, she finds that she is far from ordinary. But can she find the courage to face the darkness that lurks just beyond?"
I'm pretty sure that is the most cliche synopsis ever, but I don't know how else to word it.

Image result for how do I words gif
I need this.
What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!
 :

It's Alice in Wonderland meets Lord of the Rings.

 :  :  :

Introduce us to each of your characters!
Image result for eliza taylor the 100Sprig Jackson is fascinated with the world she had stumbled upon. She is more than happy to stay forever. 

She is always planning and plotting two steps ahead of everyone else, though she likes to pretend that she is spontaneous. 

She has always felt as though there was something she was missing, and she thinks she might find it in Alairia. Because where better to find it than a magical world full of sarcastic pirates and castles?

The one thing she wants more than anything is to be brave and live a life worth remembering. 

Image result for daniel sharman
Tyler is a boy with a secret. He has worked his whole life to undo who he is, and yet, it is never enough. He uses sarcasm and jokes as a defense. 

He is fiercely protective of his friends, and puts others before himself, but he forgets that others are not always that way and has been hurt many times by his innocence. 

The one thing he wants more than anything is to belong, yet he can't find anywhere that he feels safe.

Image result for astrid bergès-frisbeySyrena has been trapped her whole life by a grandfather who cares too much, but forgets to show it. Because of her mother's tragic death, she has been shut away for fear that she might get hurt, too.

She sneaks away to spend her days in the woods among the fireflies and forests. She swims at midnight and sleeps outside, trying to reclaim what shreds of her mother she can.

The one thing she wants more than anything is to go live the adventures she has dreamed of for so long. She wants to be free of her grandfather's stifling ways.
Image result for hugh dancy movies
Ignore the ribbon. That plays no part.

Griffen is a boy who never grew up, not really. He stole a ship and sailed away from his father. He is looking for the next moment to distract him.

His life's work since he was a teenager with a boat has been to take in kids trying to get away from their home or kids without a home and give them a place to belong. 

He sails the sea as a kind pirate with a crew of children who terrorize the ocean. He is afraid of change.

The one thing he wants more than anything is to be loved for who he is. 

How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)
I curl up in a ball and cry. I usually get together all my notes that I've scribbled down, check the Pinterest board for anything that I want to remember, and compile a rough outline. My outlines usually look like this:
  • They go to do the thing.
  • The thing happens, but...
  • PLOT TWIST: Someone died and the world is ending (oh no!!)
  • Someone saves the day. Singing, dancing, happy.
  • The end. 
Then I get all the tea I can make (usually about 4 or 5 cups of different tea) and sit down to write. I occasionally take game breaks with my fam (but never Pinterest breaks. I learned my lesson). I also try to get super excited for my novel because what better way to write it than to be screaming at the screen in joy as you write words that probably don't make sense to 87.3% of the general public.

What are you most looking forward to about this novel?
I'm excited to see how it has changed from the first draft to the fourth draft because DANG have I re-written everything. 

List 3 things about your novel’s setting.


  • It is separated into three main countries. Alairia, Myrian, & the Island. (The Island is quite mysterious and no one goes there because if you do you will DIE for reasons).
Image result for danger gif
  • It doesn't really have seasons or consistent weather. One moment it's sunny and warm, and the next it is pouring rain while the leaves fall. 
  • It is not as beautiful as it seems. Not even close.

What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?
Her goal is to get back to her family, but her true goal is to find a place where she can be courageous. 
Things that stand in her way: the prophecy, her grandfather, the world. 

How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
She knows how to kill someone (and has). She finds her courage and God. She finds that her family is nothing like it seemed (her mother alone has an entire book -- a prequel-- written on her). She finds her sense of humor. She learns how to survive in a world beyond explanation and how she no longer knows how to survive in a world where everything is already explained.

What are your book’s themes? 

Since I am a Christian, there is a very present theme of Christ and some analogies that (I hope) aren't too IN YOUR FACE. Because that is not ideal in any way...
Overcoming fear, accepting people for who they are, you get the gist. 

How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?
I want them to think. Whether it is "this book changed me", "that's a good point", or "what not to do when writing a book", I want them to think.


How's NaNo going for you? What is a book that made you think? (what do you look for in a book, because I could probably use the advice)

Toodlepip

Comments

  1. I demand *nicely* to beta for you when you finish it! Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh!!!! Lord of the Rings meets Alice in Wonderland???? YAS THIS IS BRILLIANT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! And I like to think so... XD

      Delete
  3. Ooh pirates? PIRATES. Also I love the sound of your setting. I love worlds were it's really pretty but secretly things are not as nice as they seem. GREAT. LOVE IT. I'M VISITING. 😂
    Also the gifs were on point!!
    Happy writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Also, be careful because there is a 78% chance that you will die, if you go. XD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)

Popular Posts