Beautiful Books 2016| Do's and Don'ts of How to Share Your Novel + PICTURES OF MY PUPPY

We are well into NaNoWriMo, and I feel like I'm doing pretty well.


Image result for screaming gif

Nah, I'm fine. I've been able to do lots of artistic things! Like procrastinating water-coloring, putting up lots of pretty lights, and photography! There has been small amounts of writing that is mostly frantic scribbling but we'll pretend like it's gold. 

Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going?

It's good. I'm stressed, but when am I not? I'm pressed for time, but when am I not? I'm feeling good about all I'm accomplishing in a short amount of time, but when am I not? 
What’s your first sentence (or paragraph)?
"Sprig Jackson was staring out the window again."
Who’s your current favorite character in your novel?
Okay, what makes you think I can pick favorites? Because Tyler I can't Tyler pick Tyler favorites.
What do you love about your novel so far?
I love watching my crazy, shabby little novel being turned into a shining piece of art that I can be proud of. Because yeah, I'm proud of it. It may still kind of suck, but I am proud.

Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?

Well, I made this hilarious mistake where I FORGOT TO GIVE THEM CURRENCY OR A WAY OF PAYING FOR THINGS LIKE FOOD. Yeah, real hilarious...

What is your favorite to write: beginning, middle, or end -- and why?

My favorite is the end. Because there's a huge battle usually that includes bloodshed and heartbreak and DEATH, so that's super fun to write. Also, in the end there's the matter of the last line. I love writing the last line for two reasons.
  • It isn't a close to the story so much as a different beginning. Because when the story ends, that's when the readers can begin to imagine what happens next.
  • IT'S THE END OF TORTURE.
  • just kidding
  • I love writing
  • BUT ALSO IT IS STRESSFUL 
  • SO GOODBYE TO HAVING TO THINK FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS.
  • "The End" in my book translates to "I am free"
  • until editing begins
  • WHICH IS IT'S OWN NIGHTMARE 

What are your writing habits? (Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!)
Writing Habits: I usually sit down with my tea, open up my laptop, set up my music, aaand then get distracted by Pinterest. After I shake myself out of the trance, I write until my eyes hurt and then take a reading break. 

Specific Snack: I actually can't eat while writing! I get really distracted by food, so writing + distraction = no writing. Though I need many beverages to keep me hydrated. 

Music Habits: I mostly listen to a soundtrack station on Pandora, though I can listen to music with some lyrics as long as it's quiet and laid back. I get distracted if I can rock out to it (i.e. Fall Out Boy, Imagine Dragons, etc.)

Time of Day: Night time. I think it is the most inspirational time of day. I'm usually the only one up...

Image result for batman gifs like the night

My Work Space: I try to keep my work-space as organized as possible because I HATE to work in clutter, but sometimes the papers, books, and notebooks gather up around me. Lucky for you, I cleaned it up so you could see it in it's full glory. And please ignore the fake snow up from last December. My sister and I were very lazy, so we decided to make it a permanent decoration. 

Isn't it pretty?? Also, don't you just love my TARDIS mug?
Why yes that is a sleeping puppy in the left corner...
Here are some more pictures of my puppy (because who doesn't want to see the cutest puppy ever?)

LOOK AT THAT FACE (I took the pic right after he yawned. That's why his tongue is sticking out) 
HE'S JUST SO SLEEPY
Here he is holding my hand...
And here he is trying to pull away...

How private are you about your novel while you’re writing? 
(My DOs and DON'Ts of How to Share Your Novel With Others aka my answer to the question, just in a round-a-bout way)
  • DO: Share milestones in your novel. Such as "I hit ___ words today!" or "Oh man, I worked out a major plot hole."
  • DON'T: Share updates every few minutes. Your family doesn't care what the last word you wrote was. Your neighbors don't want to know which character is your favorite. 
  • DO: Let your family know that you are indeed okay, and that the tears are because of a fictional death (which you orchestrated).
  • DON'T: Crawl out of your room sobbing and refuse to answer anyone when they ask what is wrong.
  • DO: Promise that they will all eventually read your novel.
  • DON'T: Give them the first draft.

Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?
I am my own cheer squad. In a way. My "motivational" speeches usually go like this:
"What is wrong with you? Stop procrastinating and start writing. I don't care if you think it's awful. Maybe it is. It probably is, but you're going to keep going because I said so." 

What keeps you writing even when it’s hard?
Well, writing has only been difficult for me when I am not writing. I get frustrated and feel as though I am going nowhere in life. Then I have a meltdown. I know that writing is my purpose in life. I have known that since I was a wee lass, and I honestly am so happy that I love what I do so much. Whenever I get frustrated while I'm writing, I know that it's going to pass or it's because of something I need to fix in my story. Whatever the problem is, I'm going to work hard to fix it. 

Also, I remember those moments where I get so caught up in the story that I write for hours without even realizing it. I'm kind of in a daze of creativity, and I know exactly what I want to say (which rarely happens). But then when I come out of that moment, it's like, 3:00 in the morning...two days later.
Image result for ghostbusters 2016 gifs holz
Me in those moments...
What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice?
Keep going. 
No matter how much you want to stop, the most important thing is to keep going. Even if it is truly the worst thing ever, you will still be writing, which is better than not writing, right? Right???

Stay calm.
If you freak out, then your entire life is going to become stressed, which then you won't find writing fun anymore because you'll associate it with being upset and anxious all the time, and if you don't like writing anymore, you might not like reading. 

And if you don't like reading then you might drop out of school in Grade 3! And if you drop out of school, then you might never get the education to become president of the world. And if you don't become president, then the world won't be a better place. And if the world isn't a better place, more orphans in Bulgaria will be starving.

You freaking out = More starvation for orphans. That is science, my friends. 

Image result for ghostbusters 2016 gifs
So stay calm.
Be in love with whatever you're writing. 
As long as you love what you are writing, and as long as it brings you joy, it can't be bad. (Technically it can, but for the sake of this feel-good quip, we are going to ignore the basic laws of the literary world, okay? Good talk.) You'll want to write more if you love it, which means you'll finish faster. Then you can boast to all your friends about how you finished first and do that really fun victory dance that you practiced for hours every weekend for a month JUST so you could have this glorious moment. Just me? Okay.

How is your NaNo going? And for you non-NaNo-ers out there: How is your sanity? probably better than mine, tbh. Do you have a pet? Because if you do I would love to meet them and then "borrow" them because their probs adorable, kay? 

Toodlepip

Comments

  1. hEHEHEHE "what year is it?" BWAAAHAHAHA. *rolls around laughing hysterically*

    ehemmmm. Also YOUR PUPPY IS ADORABLE. And all your advice is very sound *nods*

    Noooo i do not have a pet *sobs* my mom has two birds, but that's it. she doesn't like cats or dogs. *is determined to be a crazy cat / bunny lady when i'm older*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet. XD AND ISN'T HE THE CUTEST?? I love him very much. :)

      Birds can be really fun! And YEEES, be the crazy cat/bunny lady. Bunnies are so adorable, and a lot more affectionate that one would think.

      Delete
  2. Haha, this was such a fun post, Evangeline! :D And your puppy is SO CUTE I love him *nodnod*.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)

Popular Posts