July Favorites - 2016: I ALMOST DIED

Quick Review: This month started off with a bang. Literally. This fourth of July was really fun, and hazardous. I almost died when a Roman candle fell over, and I had to run for my life or I WOULD HAVE BEEN BURNED TO A CRISP duck out of the way. My eyebrows were almost singed off. My eyebrows, guys! If they were gone, I wouldn't be able to say "#eyebrowsonfleek." ironically anymore. Though I suppose if I had none, that would make it even better... We returned from our camping trip that consisted of bungee jumping, alpine slides, and some really intense fiber-glass burns. I acquired an apocalypse-sized bunch of Twizzlers and was more than happy to devour all of them IN ONE BITE sort of. And *deep breath* the highlight of my month: I GOT A LAPTOP. After years of using an old desktop computer that was on the last breath of it's life, I have my very own, portable laptop. PORTABLE. Do you even know how much I love saying that? I went blueberry picking and stuffed my face the entire time. I completed Camp NaNo and completed the third draft of my novel. I had a lot of fun researching missing persons cases for said novel. I felt like a detective.
That's me 100%
Book
  

Stars Above: I was excited for this book the moment that I knew it existed. It was just so darn adorable! Especially (spoiler: highlight for text) Scarlett's wedding. I was laughing my head off and acting like an idiot the entire time. I'm pretty sure my family thought that I should be committed to an insane asylum, which they're still deciding whether or not a straitjacket is necessary. I mean, you talk to a squirrel one time, and they think you're loony. 

Whisper to Me: Whisper to Me was one that I was hesitant about. 
  1. The synopsis made it sound like a cheesy summer romance.
  2. The cover made it look like a cheesy summer romance book.
  3. The idea of schizophrenia-like situations have always made me uncomfortable mainly because hearing voices that aren't there is one of my greatest fears.
But this book really surprised me. It was sweet and genuine and really made you fall in love with the characters. To be honest, I was up until 2:30 reading that book when I was trying to get to bed by 11:00 (sorry, Mom). BUT IT WAS SO WORTH IT.

These Shallow Graves: I just finished this one a moment ago so EXCUSE ME IF I RANT, but this book was a treasure. It was so refreshing to see a girl in 1890 New York who didn't have a modern attitude like so many heroines have that are set in period novels. They always display modern qualities and a "no I won't wear that corset even though it's all I've grown up around, and I wouldn't think twice about it in the real world because I'M IN THE TIME WHERE CORSETS ARE PERFECTLY NORMAL" attitude. Yet Jo was marvelous. She was smart, inquisitive, and a revolutionary character without breaking the 1890s setting. This book was adorable as well, for "forbidden romance" is an age old pageturner, no matter how cliche. The mystery was complex and twisty without leading the reader astray. The answer was always just within grasp, which is also a great incentive to keep those pages turning. 

Music
Recently, I have been realizing just how much I love music. It is a rare day that I don't listen to, play, or dance to music. It's something that I live on. I love discovering new music that inspires me and compels me to do something. Music makes everything more exciting and fun. I've been drinking in every type of music that I can get my hands on. It's no surprise that I found more than one song to obsess over. 
I Lived by OneRepublic: After hearing this song, I became extremely inspired. It's a great message and, like I said, really inspiring, not to mention: Love the melody.

Ophelia by the Lumineers: This is just such a fun song to dance around to in the kitchen. Whenever this comes on my Pandora, I can't help but grab the nearest human and force them to join in on my awkward dancing.

Character
I would have to say Jo from These Shallow Graves is my favorite character this month. I related to her very strongly. We both look up to Nellie Bly, SPEAKING OF WHICH, Nellie Bly used to be my role model for life. When I was a young tadpole trying to discover what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, Nellie Bly was part of my decision. I had read about her at the young age of 6 or 7, and I was just coming out of my tap dancing phase, so I was looking for a new obsession. Nellie Bly was everything that I wanted to be, everything that I still want to be. She inspires me greatly. 

...This went from Jo to Nellie Bly. Oh well.

What were we talking about?

Blog Posts
Because I've been wanting to say this for a while, but until now, I haven't had the time/inspiration. 

Because hilarity and #sorelateable 

Some Thoughts on Writing Honestly by To the Barricade!
Because every writer needs to have some self-searching and learn how to take their most honest self and bring it forth to the page. And let me tell you, it is hard.

My Little Fear by The Art of Extraordinary 
Because LITERALLY ME. 

Satisfied Sundays: Weakness by Acoustic Erin
Because it's really refreshing to be reminded of this. 

Food
I am proud to say that my favorite food this month was salad. I made a normal salad with avocado oil, garlic, and salt and it was delicious! It tasted amazing, made me feel really energized, and I'm being healthy so it's a win, win. I am officially a health nut now. 

Drink
This month I discovered the beauty of Almond Milk. I began adding it to all the tea I had, and it make everything magic.

TV Show


I started this TV show on a whim with my brother. I wasn't terribly impressed at first, but then something magical happened. There was a line that drew me in and had me in tears. "This must be the work of the gnomes." BUT IT WAS SO SERIOUS. To be honest, my brother and I started this show as a joke, laughing at the lines, acting, and awkward behavior of the characters, though now I must admit that I am quite invested. I'm still more than happy to laugh at it, even when it's not meant to be funny. I adore it now, and I am dying for Season 2. There are some quite familiar faces that apparently couldn't get a better job, but it's fun to see them just the same. Even if some of the boys are desperately in need of a haircut. 
Movie 
I can't quite pick the movie, for I saw so many good ones, though I narrowed it down to my top 3! It's quite a feat on my part, for I loved so many this month. 
 

The Martian: I had read the book and was looking forward to watching the movie. It was the perfect mix of comedy and drama and action and visuals. Then again, I did watch it at 1:00 in the morning, so I might not be remembering it all that well. Though I do remember going to bed thinking about how marvelous a movie it was. 

Alice Through the Looking Glass: There are definitely some things that I liked better about the first, and there were some things that I wished would change, but no matter how much I clicked my heels three times, it wouldn't change! Imagine that. It was quite a fun movie, and it had a bit more substance and heart to it than I felt the first did. There was one character that I wanted to see more of! 
 

This was truly the clearest photo I could find of him, and his back is basically to the camera. He was great (also, throwback to Eragon, because he was Eragon). 

Breakfast at Tiffany's: I've seen this movie before, but I'm still in love with it. Something about it captures one's attention. It's a leisurely movie that kind of feels like a vacation. Also, I feel super fancy when I watch it. So that's a plus. 

Well, that's it for this month's monster post. Points to you if you stayed to the end. You get the prize of a sense of accomplishment. Doesn't that feel great?

Toodlepip

Comments

  1. Congrats on the laptop!! It's very freeing having the ability to move throughout the house with ones computer. Though I'll admit, I find my desk most comfortable, so I don't get around much. XD

    I'm so honored that my misfortunes bring you enough enjoyment to share on your fabulous blog! XD

    And now I wanna try reading These's Shallow Graves. Look every interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am very glad that I have it. :)

      And yes, it was quite amusing. XD Though highly relatable.

      YOU SO SHOULD. That book was a roller coaster from start to finish. I simply adore it.

      Delete
  2. Ah! yes! A laptop! I have been using one for the whole time that we have had internet, but I very well understand your feelings!

    I think I might like that story! Historical characters with modern attitudes drive me LOCO!!

    Oh!! Almond milk is amazing! My mom really likes Almond Breeze Chocolate Almond Milk. I do too!

    The Shannara Chronicles! I have a friend who loves them, but my older sister says they are awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you. I congratulate you in your laptop ownership, fellow sister. XD

      Seriously though! It's the worst. It's like, "You don't know anything different, why are you questioning this?"

      Well, they're funny when they're not trying to be and I can't help but chuckle at the cheesy lines and such. I think it's great. XD

      Delete
  3. This fourth of July was really fun, and hazardous. I almost died when a Roman candle fell over, and I had to run for my life or I WOULD HAVE BEEN BURNED TO A CRISP duck out of the way. My eyebrows were almost singed off. My eyebrows, guys! If they were gone, I wouldn't be able to say "#eyebrowsonfleek."

    ^^ Oh my word, that cracked me up! I was laughing out loud at that whole paragraph. :)

    This post was radical. Thank you so much for linking to my post!! That means a lot. And I love "Ophelia" -- that whole album is just so heartbreaking, but beautiful. And almond milk sounds gnifty. I've been meaning to try it, but haven't yet.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. XD

      And oh my goodness, I truly have no idea how I hadn't heard of that album before. It's just gorgeous. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)

Popular Posts