The Book Thief Review

Disclaimer: If you have not seen - or are planning to see - The Book Thief any time soon, then do not read this. This post is not for you! If you can't resist reading it, then it's your fault. You have been warned.....
Oki-dokie, let's get started. I don't usually give book or movie reviews, but I just thought it would be fun.
The Book Thief was really good, to state it plainly. I actually think it might be in my Top Five movies. Everyone had said how sad it was, and yes, it was sad, but I don't think that sad begins to cover what is real. The movie didn't have a happy ending; it had a real ending. Nothing warm and fuzzy, but indifferent, abrupt. It really was a fabulous movie. It showed you what really happened to children, to people. It made you think. It was the kind of movie that made a lasting impression on you, or at least in my case. 
My favorite characters were (not in order) Max, Rudy, Hans, and Ilsa 
I liked Max because he kept a good attitude even after everything he had been through, and he also thought about what was best for the family and not him. He was very selfless that way.
I liked Rudy because he was what a real friend should be, giving, loving, and quick to forgive. He helped Liesel adjust and settle in the beginning, and then he kept his friendship with her until the very end.
I liked Hans because he was kind to Liesel, right off he made her feel loved and valued. His accordion quirk was terribly endearing in my opinion. 
I liked Ilsa because she gave Liesel a safe haven of sorts. She encouraged her love of reading and gave her a home after everything went wrong. 

Overall, this movie was terribly depressing, but wonderfully done. I'm glad that I watched it. 
I think that these kinds of movies are so important these days. We forget the true horrors of the past, looking at them through dismissive eyes. 

Anyway, those were my thoughts on the movie. If you haven't seen it, go watch it. Right now. I don't care if it's midnight, go.
Toodlepip



Comments

  1. "It was the kind of movie that made a lasting impression on you." Yes! Exactly!

    Haha, that's how I felt, "Go watch it. I don't care if it's midnight." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah. The funny thing was, I actually watched it at midnight. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)