My Trip to Hawaii| Almost Dying and FOOD + the Ocean Slapped Me??

I like to think that the laws of the universe don't apply to me. I can get 2 days of work done in 2 hours (as well as 2 hours of work done in 2 days), I eat when I'm not hungry, and I run slower than the average turtle. Within the past week, the universe has clearly become upset that I am able to dodge its logic, and has decided to slap me upside the head with one law that I can't seem to outwit.
Time waits for no man (or woman. Or bookdragon.). 

 Despite the angry letters and numerous complaints filed, Time does not seem to be listening to me. In fact, it seems to be plugging its ears and doing a little dance, pretending to not hear me. Frankly, it's inconsiderate. Since Time has begun to laugh at me, I have fallen a tad behind: on editing, blogging, my school. Uhg. 

Though I suppose that Time can't be blamed for all of it. There was the matter of me leaving the world for a week at the end of May. 

"What trip?" you say. 

Why, thank you for asking. How unexpected. In my Favorites post, I mentioned that I had just returned from Hawaii, and y'all seemed to have a few questions. I am here to answer those questions.

Jerry came along, too.
      1. What island did I go to?
Obviously, I went to the best island of them all (yes I know I've only been to one, hush): Kauai, the garden island. I assumed that it would be more like the big island (which I have seen pictures of. It is much more developed), but FUN FACT: over half of the island isn't even accessible by car. Whenever we would drive to our next adventure, I would just be watching out the window, absolutely breathtaken (breathtooken?) by the scenery. I can't even describe it well enough to do it justice (and I'm a writer, for goodness sake). Another fun fact (that lowkey blew my mind): Mighty Joe Young was filmed on Kauai, and it's kind of my favorite movie, so I was for sure freAKING OUT. Yeah, I know a lot of other movies were filmed there, but whatevs, MIGHTY JOE YOUNG. On the first day that we got there (before I read that fact about Mighty Joe Young), I journaled:
"Every piece of scenery right out of Mighty Joe Young". 
What can I say, I know that movie like my favorite book (not that I have a favorite book. I love all of my children equally).

2. What did I do?
Ha, what didn't I do?

  • We went kayaking + a short hike to a waterfall.
  • Played at the beach a lot.
  • Explored the small town we were staying in.
  • Snorkeled 3 times (which was incredible. I saw in total: 3 turtles, I lost track of how many sea urchins, bright purple coral, and GIANT fish)
  • Went on a boat tour on the Napali coast. It was a small boat, therefore we were able to go into 3 caves (which were all stunning, though I was lowkey expecting the Kraken to rise up and eat us like a potato chip) and go under a waterfall (which was probably the coldest .8 seconds of my life).We saw the opening shot of Jurassic Park, where they filmed part of POTC4, and DOLPHINS!! Y'all, dolphins were literally under and beside our boat. 
  • Went to a few farmer's markets and bought all kinds of crazy fruit (like the mangosteen. NEW FAVORITE FRUIT)
Because of my family's peculiar diet restrictions, we were expecting to not be able to find a lot of places to eat, but surprisingly, it was easy! The food was incredible. We ate out once a day, and ohhhh, I died just about every time we ate (food is one of the main things I look forward to when vacationing).


3. What was my favorite part?
The landscape, handsdown. As much as I loved all the amazing activities that we did, they all centered around the landscape! Everywhere we went: lil chicks were rushing after their mommas, trees were blooming with the most beautiful flowers, palm trees were laden with coconuts about to fall, and the beach absolutely beautiful no matter where we were. EVEN THE RAIN WAS AMAZING.

Plus everyone was so sweet (except for one woman we met. She was horrible. Not going to name any names, but she knows who she is.).
The picture doesn't even do it justice.
4. What was my least favorite part?
I did not love the moment that I almOST DIED. True story. The third time we snorkeled was very frightening. My sister and I (shoutout to you, boo) went out onto part of the reef, and we were pretty far out before we realized that the water was much too shallow in that area. I could reach down and touch the reef, not to mention the coral that jutted up from it. She actually had the misfortune of hitting her knee on some of the coral, and it was swollen for a couple days.
Despite it probably not being that dangerous, I was having a lil panic attack under the waves (and I still had on my snorkel mask, so my panicking sounded like a seal choking on jello). I couldn't just stand because
  1. have you ever tried standing in flippers when the ground is less than a foot from your stomach?
  2. HAVE YOU TRIED STANDING IN FLIPPERS???
  3. I think it should be an Olympic sport, the true test of skill.
  4. Also, I didn't want to stand on the reef and ruin any tiny fishy homes. I mean, how do I know that I won't be harming Nemo??
Until I came along with my flippers...
My first instinct was to answer: sunburn, but even that gave me the illusion of some color for a short amount of time. I don't know if I have told y'all this, but I look like an albino vampire. 

Me to me.
Another blessing in disguise (read as: at the time I was almost in tears, but everything is okay now) was when the ocean straight up slapped me, and I lost my glasses. I was playing in the waves (and the water was only up to my waist, so I thought I was fine, but NO. Clearly nature hates me) and out of nowhere, a giant wave came crashing down on me, sweeping my glasses away. Thankfully we were able to get an appointment at Costco the very next day, and I got contacts. The blessing part is because I wouldn't have been able to snorkel or wear sunglasses if I had continued to wear glasses (my lil eyeballs would have fried). And the disguise part is because I wasn't wearing glasses anymore, so I looked different. 


5. Was it as great as I was imaging?
It was indescribably amazing. I journaled the whole trip in exhausting detail, and I have already reread it many times. I know it's just Hawaii, and it's very popular, but I gained a lot of new knowledge about the world (who knew leaving my cave could be so amazing?).

Though I gotta say, I do not love flying in the middle of the night. I cannot sleep on planes (which is something else I learned. It was a rough lesson), though the sunrise above the clouds was like something out of a Cotton Candy Monster's dream. 

BONUS QUESTION: Did I read any of the books that I brought, confident that I would catch up to my goal? 
That's a funny question. Of course I did. I wouldn't just bring books if I wasn't going to read them. That would be ridiculous. 


What's your favorite vacation that you've been on? Have you ever been to Hawaii (or more specifically: the best island of them all?)? What's your favorite fruit? Do you enjoy eating as much as I do? Jk, that would be impossible. 
Toodlepip

Comments

  1. I went to London about two years ago, and it was very fun. Your trip sounds like it was amazing! Bummer about your glasses though. That stinks :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London seems like a very fun place to visit!! I hope that one day I can go.
      It was amazing! And even losing the glasses did turn out to be a good thing. :)

      Delete
  2. Crazy that you got to see all of the movie-studded areas where they filmed a ton of scenes from movies! I have a terrible experience trying to use flippers to stand under western because m'dear, THE UNCOMFORTABLE FEELING IS MUTUAL. I'm glad you were also able to figure out things with your contacts, though!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? That was pretty amazing. :) YOU KNOW MY PAIN. XD Flippers are evil.
      Me too! Who knew that the ocean slapping me could be a good thing?

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, Kauai was one of the islands that I went to!!!! I also went snorkeling (only once though, I got thoroughly chilled and caught a cold afterwards, NOT FUN) and visited the Na Pali coast (both from the boat and the land). And yes, it's amazing how much coral hurts and the food is beyond awesome!

    So glad you enjoyed yourself!!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'EYYYY!! Fellow Kauai vacationer! Aw, being sick is not fun. Hopefully the snorkeling was worth it! :) The Na Pali coast was beautiful!

      I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to NOT have fun in Kauai. I mean, it's Kauai!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had an awesome time! I've been to Hawaii, but only Oahu which didn't impress me all that much, but that's because I'd rather go on nature walks and explore the amazingly different landscape than fry on the beach or shop at super expensive shops. So I'm a little jealous of you. Snorkeling sounds so amazing!

    I just recently flew somewhere during the night, and I sympathize with the whole not being able to sleep on a plane. Those things are dreadfully uncomfortable. For me, I did try, and that almost made it worse.

    Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I most definitely had an awesome time. :) I'm sure all the islands have something great about them (but I suppose super expensive shops aren't the best).

      Yeah, not being able to sleep is the worst.

      Thanks! :D

      Delete
  5. HAWAII LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL OMGGGGG I WANT TO GO. (Also I was just realizing that the title of this post could also be the description for the book Everything Everything << I WAS LAUGHING SO HARD LOL) My mom went to Hawaii a few times and she always tells me about how beautiful the Napali coastline is! Also snorkeling in the reef sounds amazing!! That water is SO PRETTY AND BLUE. *insert row of heart-eye emojis* Travel journaling is so much fun, isn't it? I always try to journal when I go on a road trip. That way I never forget all the awesome little details of a place. :)

    I LOVE THIS POST AND NOW I WANT TO GO TO HAWAII ASAP.

    Also I love eating food. Like...SO MUCH.

    rock on,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND PERFECT AND OMG I MISS IT. I haven't read Everything, Everything yet, but when I do, I am sure I will understand. XD
      Snorkeling is kind of the best!! And I love travel journaling because, like you said, that way I never forget the little details.

      DO IT. GO TO HAWAII. STOWAWAY ON A PLANE IF YOU HAVE TO. XD

      Delete
  6. You make it sound so amazing! But I just got back from a wedding near San Fran (which is quite the distance for me), so I just want to stay in bed for now.
    I've never had a mangosteen. What's it like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! San Fran can be a really fun area. I understand not wanting to leave the bed. XD
      A mangosteen is a big red fruit that kind of looks a bit like a bouncy ball. You split the fruit open (because the outside is really bitter. You do not want to eat that part. XD), and inside are these pure white little segments already made bitesize by nature. It has the consistency of a perfectly ripe banana, but it tastes like a watermelon pear. IT'S SO GOOD.

      Delete
  7. ahhh i want to go to hawaii so bad!

    the boat tour sounds amazinggg and lol food is one of my favorite parts of vacationing too :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty!!

      Right? Food is the best. :D

      Delete
  8. Aghaghaghagh!!!!!!! You are so lucky!!! I be so jeeeeeaaaaaloooouuuss...

    Also I am super pale, too. You are not alone.

    Also I'm glad Jerry got to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, at least being pale will help others find us faster if we are lost in the dark. ;)

      He had fun. XD

      Delete
  9. Catching up on your stuff, and I love the new look of your blog, and this post was hilarious!! I love how because of the way you format the text, I can picture the exact way you would speak these words. :'D Well, as you know I have been to the fourth best island, which is Maui. It was nice and all, but the Krispy Kreme was situated way too far from the hotel, so I think it's safe to say that there are at least two better islands out there. This sounds like an awesome trip! I could feel the terror of being at the mercy of the ocean when you were describing your snorkeling experience with the coral and the fish murdering. I wanna know more about this mangosteen, and the mean lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're so sweet. :) Ah, well, we can't all make the best decision and go to Kauai (though I'm sure that Maui was pretty awesome, despite the Krispy Kreme misfortune). Mangosteen is incredible (though super expensive here which is sad because it's mY NEW FAVORITE FRUIT. And I can't have it. It's a cruel, cruel world. XD I'll have to tell you the story about the mean lady.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)