Saturday, June 10, 2017

My Fav Beauty and the Beast Retellings| Disney Hypnotized Me + The Phantom Needs Flirting Tips

Who doesn't love a good fairytale? Okay, maybe a few people, but anyone with a functioning brain and sense of decency can at least agree that fairytales are enjoyable to most of the population (why do you think Disney rules the world?).

One fairytale has seemed to stand the test of time, persevering through the ages. Beauty and the Beast has long been the favorite of the world (OR AT LEAST IN MY WORLD, OKAY?), and they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so many writers of books and screenplays and obscure, low budget movies have taken it upon themselves to rework the tale as old as time with some new, exciting twist (that usually isn't very twisty or exciting).

Too many Beauty and the Beast adaptations focus on the romantic aspect of things: whether that means making their relationship more innocent, more adult, or even cranking up the sexy-times all the way to 10. WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK? Do you not see the entire magical castle? Amazing gardens? There is plenty of opportunity to get up to all sorts of shenanigans other than romantic ones. Because goodness gracious, Belle, there is a library that you're ignoring as you stare into the Beast's eyes. This is unacceptable.
But, luckily, I am here for you with a few of my favorite adaptations (no, this post has nothing to do with the live-action Beauty and the Beast that came out earlier this year + I'm definitely not going to review said movie).

Books

Image result for sisters grimmImage result for as old as time book

The Phantom of the Opera (I chose this cover because I find it hilarious. Erik is trying to impress a girl, so he thinks "Ah yes, how better to win her heart than dress up as a creepy skeleton in a bright red suit and matching sombrero?"): I don't think this is technically a retelling of Beauty and the Beast (wow, what a great way to start things off), but I've never been able to separate it from the tale as old as time (even though *spoiler* everything is tragic and it doesn't end well for Erik). I mean, disfigured man trying to win the love of a fair maiden by showing her his awesome house?? Can you get any more Beauty and the Beast? I don't think so. Erik is a socially awkward ball of trauma trying to win someone's heart in the dorkiest and creepiest ways possible, because taking her to the dungeon on the first date doesn't scream psychopath. 

The Everafter War: This one focuses on Beauty and her Beast very briefly. The Sisters Grimm series is all about a bunch of fairytale characters stuck in a modern-day town (like Once Upon a Time but the Sisters Grimm did it first), and we see our beloved Beauty and the Beast cross their paths occasionally. In this adaptation, they are married and have a really great relationship. Everything has worked out, and they have a good life. The series itself is a fantastic adaptation of all our favorite fairytale characters (as well as quite a few that aren't usually considered fairytales, but they're goshdarn fantastic). You should definitely go read it right now. ASAP.

As Old As Time: Y'ALL, THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. Not the Raven Boys level of amazing (I don't know if anything can be), but still pretty great. It took the animated Disney movie and built upon it so much more, giving it backstory and a different ending (WHICH I WAS VERY PLEASED WITH. #unconventionalhappyending). I actually have had the theory that it was Belle's mother that enchanted the Beast, and it was very nice to see it unfold before my eyes. I won't say much more because I don't want to spoil anything (but I will link to my Goodreads review. You're welcome)
Image result for It's a good book gif
Me after finishing As Old As Time
Movies
Image result for disney beauty and the beastIt's not surprising that the Disney animated version made its way into my list (actually, I don't remember adding it. How did it get on here? Guys I think Disney hypnotized me). I am an intense Disney fan (at least, I think I am?? I don't know anything anymore). Beauty and the Beast is a cartoon that I can confidently say appeals to basically any generation. It is something that will never go out of style (kind of like me), and that I will always love (once again: ME). Anything with singing and dancing cutlery is good enough for me, even if I do think that Belle was very foolish to pay any attention to the Beast at all.
She could have spent all the time she danced with him reADING A BOOK. Then again, she couldn't have broken the curse by reading a book, so this is why I am not Belle. 

Image result for penelope moviePenelope was a movie that took me by surprise. It is really sweet (it's almost sickening, it's so adorable). It has lots of things going for it.
  • Curses (duh. It wouldn't be a proper story without a good curse)
  • A shaggy James Mcavoy that desperately needs a haircut (pshh, who cares about plot when the romantic interest won't get A SIMPLE HAIRCUT. Good glory, what kind of world do we live in these days)
  • Reese Witherspoon makes an appearance as a motorcycle riding chick who drags our main character out of her shell. 
  • MAGIC
  • Playing instruments very badly (I can relate)
Do prepare yourself for a lot of shameless flirting (I repeat, it's almost sickening. Then again, I do have the attitude of an 80 yr old man). I love the fact that it is definitely a Beauty and the Beast retelling, but it's not in your face about it at every turn. 


Totally Legit Survey: A lot of folks disliked the live action remake. A lot of folks loved it. A lot of folks didn't have an opinion and asked me to stop talking to them. 
No matter your opinion you have to admit that it's at the very least a little bit magical. I personally have adopted the belief that it was thoroughly enchanting, and Emma Watson was fantastic as Belle, and I could not be happier with this movie. I am very glad that they added to the story in little ways, wrapping up loose ends such as: 
  • Belle's mother.
  • Why everyone forgot about the giant castle within the mysterious forest. 
  • FRANCE FRANCE FRANCE. Y'all, I love the France in this movie. It's just some really good France. That wasn't even a question I had, I just thought I would let you know.
  • How are Belle and her father paying for their food?
  • Why is there a bookstore in a town where no one reads (except for that one special snowflake. You go special snowflake)?
I don't think it is nearly as magical as Cinderella (2015), but it was quite marvelous as adaptations go. But that's just one folk's opinion. 

What's your favorite fairytale adaptation? What's something you would want to see from a B&B story? Do you think that the Phantom of the Opera is close enough to be considered Beauty and the Beast-esque?? Is there an obscure fairytale you love? I love the fairytale where the bookdragon finds the giant library and spends the rest of her days curled up in an armchair with no interruption and a cup of tea. 

Toodlepip

15 comments:

  1. I just didn't like phantom of the opera. some guy trying to impress you with his lair and half face, I just find it creepy

    I read one Sisters Grimm book and lost interest but perhaps I'll check out 'the everafter war'

    as old as time - not sure I want to read that, there were quite a few negative reviews but I think it's probably a matter of preference maybe?

    the disney movie is everyone's favorite though I also equally love the 1946 french version and the 2014 french version - la belle et la beast - the 2014 version just so gorgeous! and the 1946 version has good effects even though it was made way before computer graphics

    Penelope is wonderful though I haven't thought of it as beauty and beast, not right away, Penelope is beauty and she is also the beast because she sort of kept herself in and she saved herself and got rid of the curse without shaggy james (what's his character name again?) - actually, shaggy was used to describe his character

    not going to be watching the disney's live action remake any time soon, I still could not stop thinking Emma Watson as Hermione from harry potter, it's really hard not to, though I haven't seen her in other roles, I just think they should have picked someone who hasn't been in such a famous role, perhaps an unknown would have been better.

    it's hard to tell people which version of beauty and the beast I love because there are so many favorites.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy those two books. Who knows, maybe one day you will find a Beauty and the Beast adaptation that will steal your heart fully. :D

      I have been meaning to watch the 2014 version, and I think there might be a few others on my list. I'm excited to broaden my Beauty and the Beast adaptations.

      There are so many good ones, and it definitely can be hard to pick! :D

      Delete
  2. I've always thought of Phantom as a tragic Beauty and the Beast retelling for grownups, so... I'm so glad there's someone else who feels that way :)

    I wish her sisters made it into more adaptions, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I agree wholeheartedly.

      You know, that would be really nice! I always forget that she had sisters! I did quite like how in the 2017 B&B, they added a few more things from the original story.

      Delete
  3. I loved the new movie! I liked how it explained things more, and how it gave some backstory about Belle's mother. I also love how it gave the land a more of a French feel, especially the beginning the face makeup and the outfits were perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you liked it! Yes, the French vibe was awesome. :)

      Delete
  4. Funny you should write this now because over the last few days I've been thinking about how similar Phantom of the Opera is to Beauty and the Beast. There's a lot of parallels.

    A few days ago Alina and I rewatched the 2014 French Beauty and the Beast, which was much better the second time around BTW, but it's another little known adaption. I listened to a podcast about the original fairy tale a few months ago and this version is weirdly accurate from what I can remember. It's a bit confusing the first time around, but the second time around it made a lot more sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL HELLO. There are definately a lot of parallels. I know it's not technically a retelling, but clearly I'm not the only one who sees the similarities. ;)

      Ooo, yeah, that's one adaptation that is on my list. I am excited to watch it.

      Delete
  5. Yes! I liked that there's no bookstore in the live-action BATB, just a priest (?) with a few books he lets Belle borrow. Makes much more sense.

    I consider The Phantom of the Opera to be a BATB retelling, definitely. Also Jane Eyre. And I was just thinking about another story that works as a BATB... but now I can't remember what it was. Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm glad that they got that cleared up. :D

      Glad to know that I am not the only one who has had that feeling. I haven't read Jane Eyre, but I imagine that it has some similar vibes.

      Delete
    2. I agree. I am glad they got that cleared up in the live-action movie. :)

      It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has gotten those same vibes from POTO. I haven't read Jane Eyre, but I can imagine that it would have similar themes. :)

      Delete
  6. I need to read As Old As Time!!! I've heard good things about it!!!

    Phantom of the Opera is TOOOOOOTALLLY a B+B retelling!! (Random fact: the author of Phantom is Gaston Leroux, which is like a combination of the names "Gaston" and "LeFou"????? Coincedence??? I THINK NOT!!!) Ahem. Anyway. Yes, definitely a play on that trope. Actually the other day we were discussing how Romeo + Juliet, B+B, and Pride and Prejudice have very similar themes????

    EVERYBODY WAS JUST PLAGIARIZING SHAKESPEARE, DANGIT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! It's so good!!

      Ooo, that is quite the connection. It sounds like a conspiracy.
      The theme of "Love despite appearances" seems to be a very good tool in stories. :)

      Delete
  7. I completely agree! I absolutely loved the new Beauty and the Beast and definitely think Emma Watson was the perfect Belle. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely!
      Aw, thanks! You're so sweet.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)