This Adventure Ends| Favorite Quote + It Actually Changed My Life

As a Professional Bookdragon (I'm still figuring out how I can get paid for it), I come across all kinds of books and all kinds of stories. It's a grand ol' time. Since I have read many books ("many" is a word which here means "enough to occupy a small moon"), I have become very selective about which books I deem my favorites (I'm also very selective about which books I read. Hehe, shameless promotion of previous post). There a few ways to become a contender for the coveted title of Favorite.

How to Become a Favorite
  • Basically, I have to have an emotional connection with the book that is like:
  • WOAH
  • MY HEART
  • emotion.
  • Almost all of my favorite books are fantasy. 
  • Ooo, I like witty dialogue and shippable characters.
  • I adore Hexad Pertaining To Birds.
  • ehehe, did you see what I did there?
  • Six of Crows?
  • Nevermind, I'm hilarious.
OR
  • Books that challenge or change the way I think about something. 
Which brings me to subject of today's post. Yes, I know, flawless transition (*highfive*).

Image result for this adventure endsThis Adventure Ends changed me. I honestly can't say that about a lot of books. For the most part, I don't like change. I prefer dollar bills (bwaHAHA. That's a knee-slapper). In fact, the entire book itself didn't change me, just one or two sentences that came out of nowhere. I was sitting in my living room, drinking my tea all alone in the dark, and then BAM, life outlook changed. 

What is this oh-so-important, life-altering quote? you ask. 

"We should all find something to weirdly passionate about, don't you think?"  - Her dad, who is the reincarnation of a teenage girl (but, like, in a good way)
That may seem like an oddly inconsequential quote to some, but to me, I kind of just stopped reading and thought "Woah. What wisdom. Such smart." I am not an insecure person (at least I don't think I am. I don't know, what do you think? Do you think I'm too insecure?). I don't apologize for liking things because I know that no matter what I do, someone is going to find something to gripe about.


But: I do find myself trying to tone down my excitement or pretend that I don't love something as much as I do. When I've watched cheesy TV shows or read books that are not loved by all, I've toned down my love for it. 

Storytime: I was watching a TV show that is very dear to my heart, and a relative of mine walked into the room. "Is this Doctor Who?" They asked, wondering if this was indeed the show that I had raved about on many occasions. "Yup." I answered, snuggling deeper into my blanket and grinning as the Doctor grasped his companion's hand and ran to save someone. "Oh. It's a lot different than I was imagining." I sat up, my excitement starting to melt away. "Yeah? What were you expecting?" "I don't know," They shrugged. "Something a bit...better." They began to leave the room, and under their breath I heard them say: "It's stupid!" 

After that, I was careful to let people know how much I loved things. I would search for things wrong with it because that was what was expected of me. What's with that? That's not how things are supposed to be.
I love to love things. I get excited about things, but also I become a deluded pancake and tone down my love for things.

"We should all find something to be weirdly passionate about."

Why can't we be weirdly passionate about things? Why can't we tell others about our love for *something* and not be embarrassed or ashamed that we love it as much as we do? 

As Vincent Van Gogh once said (and yes, I did Google this. I don't just have Vincent Van Gogh quotes memorized. I'm not that smart): The best way to know life is to love many things. My goal for the future is that I will keep the This Adventure Ends quote in my mind because I don't want to pretend that I don't love something.

There are many things that I am weirdly passionate about and after reading This Adventure Ends, I was reminded that I can be as weirdly passionate about anything as I want. I'm glad that I read it because it definately changed me. It has earned itself a spot on the very exclusive list of Favorite.

What's something you're weirdly passionate about? Have you read This Adventure Ends? What is a book that has changed you? Okay, that's all I got. 

Toodlepip

Comments

  1. I haven't read that one, but I guess I probably should :) I will definitely get to it at some point now. *adds to overflowing TBR*

    I am weirdly passionate about... um... can I just say everything?? Because I am part of so many fandoms and it's just plain weird. I NEED TO READ SIX OF CROWS THOUGH I'VE HEARD NOTHING BUT GOOD STUFF ABOUT IT.

    I am changed by most books. Or at least, my writing is changed XD It's great. I love it.

    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good!!! Though, if you are wary of language or other...content, then you should probs look at a content guide or something. :D

      YES!! Life is about being passionate about things. And READ IT. I ADORE SIX OF CROWS WITH ALL MY HEART.

      That's good! It's always cool to see when one's writing has been affected (for the better, I hope XD).

      Delete
  2. I am weirdly passionate about many things. My favorite TV show, Combat!, which is a 1960s drama set in WWII. Underknown, underrated, utterly fabulous. I've written like two dozen fanfic stories for it. I've gone to fan get-togethers and met a couple cast members. I'm NUTS about it. Even though most people these days have never heard of it.

    Okay, that's one example, but yes. I am weirdly passionate about things that other people couldn't care less about, but *I* care about them, and that's what matters to me! Do I love finding other people who love them? Of course I do! But I've never found a person who shares all my passions, so I just... enjoy things for their own sake and my own, I guess?

    I'm rambling. I'll stop. Keep the passion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being weirdly passionate is a great feeling. Even just today when I was showing music that I love to someone, I had to keep remind myself that if they don't like it, that doesn't mean I am less of a person for liking it. It's fun to love something so fiercely.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)