Thursday, December 29, 2016

December Favorites| The Christmas-y Christmas Edition + MA BUNNY

This month has been very eventful. And Christmas was pretty crazy, too.
  • I finally watched Twilight. I am...not a fan. At all. Though I have now seen all of them thanks to my now Twilight obsessed mother. Maybe the books are better than the movies, and that's great, but I just can't stand the whole "At Every Turn, Jacob or Edward Is There To Save Me" thing that Bella seems to rely on. 
  • It snowed TWICE in my snowless little state. WHAT EVEN IS THIS CHRISTMAS MAGIC? 
  • We built a village of gingerbread houses complete with a lake and an island. 
  • ...and two sharks. 
  • ...and an Elsa ornament right in the middle of town square to rule with an icy fist. 
  • The lid to my rabbit's cage got left open, and he escaped. Then, after 18 hours of sadness and searching, we found him chilling under his cage in all the fallen hay. Isn't he adorable? 
HE'S TOO MUCH
  • Our Christmas was completely different than it has ever been before (though last year we had Christmas dinner at a Chinese place), and IT WAS SO FUN! Christmas is kind of the best.
  • And the most important event of December...I got two more potted plants! A poinsettia (tis the season!) and an orchid. They're both very pretty, and I am determined to not kill them.
I feel like I should make this stuffed full of Christmas cheer and glitter and snow since it was just Christmas, and I am still living in the Holly Jolly. Oh well, I will just have to pretend as though it is Christmas-y. I won't tell if you won't.
Book
Image result for made you up Image result for gemina 
Made You UpTHIS BOOK WAS SO UNEXPECTED!

I had seen it in odd places on the internet, and I took note of the pretty cover, but for the most part, I assumed it would be just another YA romance with a tad of something else thrown in. Until one day, I finally worked my way to the bottom of one of my library towers where it sat.

To say that I was surprised is an understatement.

Me: *closes book* Well that was good.
Brain: Don't you mean AMAZING?
Me: Huh?
Brain: Remember Miles.
Me: Oh yeah... He was great.
Brain: And Alex was a treasure, right?
Me: You are correct.
Brain: AND THAT PLOT TWIST THO
Me: BRO
Brain: BRO
Me: We're on the same page now.
Brain: BRO
Me: We're done with that now.
Brain: Sorry, I got excited. 


EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK WAS THE BEST.

+ Miles and Alex. Can we talk about how this did not feel like a typical romance? IT WAS DIFFERENT, OKAY? They're both messed up in their own ways and harboring their own secrets, but then they harbor secrets together, and it's adorable.

THE HISTORY IN THIS. I'm pretty sure I am 14.7% smarter after reading this book.

+ The school didn't feel like a High School Musical without the singing. IT WAS REAL, PEEPS. There were cliches, sure, but they were done masterfully. Most of the cliche characters had so much more depth than I gave them credit for at first. I get really tired of all those cliches from schools in books. Though maybe those actually exist. I don't actually know, being home schooled and all (#hermitsforlife).

+ It didn't waste a word. Usually books, even good books, have a lot of unnecessary words. It is my belief that every word should serve a direct purpose, and Made You Up follows that belief. The writing is crisp and purposeful, which is so refreshing.

Bless this marvelous book. Definitely buying it ASAP, or as I like to say, ASAIGM (As Soon As I Get Money).


Gemina: THIS BOOK GAVE ME HEART PROBLEMS. Towards the last 1/4 of the book, I was having a heart attack every two or three pages. IT WAS SO INTENSE AND CRAZY AND LOOK AT THAT LITTLE PILE OF STRESS, oh that's me. GOOD GLORY THIS BOOK WAS INTENSE.

I want to write a super long review about everything, but I don't even know where to begin. This is one of those books where it leaves you feeling winded. It is just so engaging!


Music
Image result for sleeping at last christmas

Well, well, well. We found ourself at the first Christmas item of the post. Sleeping At Last's Christmas music is basically magic. I've had it on replay all month, and I am still holding onto it with a tight grip because I WILL NOT LET GO. It could be the middle of June, and I would still be listening to Christmas music. 

Character
Keefe Sencen from Lodestar. THAT BOY KILLS ME. He's literally my favorite type of character ever. He is sarcastic, hilarious, but what's this? He has hidden depth and uses humor to hide the pain? Whaaaat?? 

Blog Post
Wow, I actually had two posts of mine this month that I really liked. That's surprising. 
10 Books to Get You In the Holiday Mood ◊ Christmas Blog Post Ideas Blog Post - Because they were both just so fun to write. 

50 Ways to Recover From NaNo by A Writer's Life - Because this made me laugh and also presented me with many good options on how to retrieve whatever shreds of sanity I had left. 

The Love Series: Loving Ourselves by Acoustic Erin - Because this was exactly what I needed to hear. It's a concept that I know very well, BUT IT'S HARD, isn't it? 

The Snippets Tag by Scattered Scribblings - Because can we just take a second to appreciate the beauty of these snippets? Thank you.

Stories That Feel Like Home to Me by Meanwhile, in Rivendell - Because it's always nice to be reminded of those stories that are basically your childhood. 

The 8 Types of Book Reviewers Quiz by Paper Fury - Because this girl can always make me laugh, and apparently, I am a List Lover. That may or may not be accurate... 

Drink
I've done my best to find a perfect recipe for healthier Apple Cider, but there really is nothing like the sugary packet stuff that just tastes like magic and Christmas. The magic part might be the 20 grams of sugar coursing through your blood, but AT LEAST THE CHRISTMAS PART is probably also sugar.

Food
Bacon-wrapped Pork. That's right, my friends, deliciousness wrapped in more deliciousness. It's like the entire world has been waiting to bring me this marvelous creation. 

TV Show
Everything's on break!! What's with that? Are they trying to take away our life support? It's like they want us to live in the moment during the holidays or something.

...Oh. I get it now.

No TV Show this month because holidays are for family and fun, not consuming all the media I can (though that does sound fun).

Movie
Image result for the shallows

What is it with me and sharks? I've been wanting to see The Shallows since I saw the trailer. It definitely didn't disappoint. After watching all the Jaws movies and now this, I'm pretty sure my mother is never setting foot in the water again. Oops.

Blake Lively (the main actress) can do no wrong. Her performance was flawless. Even among all the action and tension, she didn't come off as overly dramatic as many actors do. Speaking of which,

THE TENSION. I'm finding out more and more that I really like thrillers. I love that edge of your seat feeling that leaves you glancing nervously at every corner, wondering if it is a shark coming to get you.
Because sharks can definitely lurk in corners without water.
For sure (though if you have a leak in your ceiling or an aquarium, there is a higher risk of shark attacks).

How was your Christmas?? What was your favorite present that you got (or gave)? Are you sad that Christmas is over? Or are you the type to cling to the Christmas tree in your Santa hat? Because if you are: let's get together and chat over some hot cocoa!!!

Toodlepip

2 comments:

  1. YESS MADE YOU UP AND GEMINA. Both wonderful books with wonderful blue covers :D

    The show I watched this year was Sherlock. Watching for the first time and I absolutely love it. I'm so pumped for the new season!

    I hope your new year is awesome. <3

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?? They're so good.

      Yay for Sherlock!! I am so obsessed with that show. The new season is going to be good. I just know it. :)

      Thanks! I hope yours is, too!!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)