Writing Update| NaNoWriMo and Editing (Also lowkey losing my mind, send help)

Guess what time of year it is? Guess? No it's not Halloween, we're past that. Gosh, get with the times... It is the time of year when the writers in this world scramble to get their thinking caps on because NANOWRIMO IS NIGH! I have done NaNoWriMo two years in a row (and won each time, thank you very much) and couldn't have been more happy with how it went. I learned a lot both times about me and my writing.

BUT

This year, I have shunned the traditional NaNoWriMo. I have turned up my nose at the traditional National Novel Writing Month and decided that I was too good for writing, and my life is now dedicated to rewriting. That's right, my November isn't going to be dedicated to writing amazing new worlds with characters that are dear to my heart, and telling about all the hilarious shenanigans they get into... No, my month will consist of this:
Me: *narrowing my eyes at words on the screen* Who even wrote this? What kind of person would do this? They stupid. Oh wait...   *stares at never ending pages and pages of rewriting*

Image result for kidding gif superwoman

I am editing a hard-copy of my manuscript right now. For the first couple pages, I was just so bored and tired of looking for holes in the plot and looking at characters, and I WAS SO DONE ALREADY. Then I decided to look at it from a different perspective. I let go of my perfectionist, colorless critic and gave way to my inner marker wielding editor who knew the novel could be better if I just did *this*. I've started having fun tearing apart my novel and making whatever comments I want as I go. 
"Where is he going? What is he hiding? Why is he leaving?
Is he harboring secret cake? Waffles? A dead body?"
"Sass" is basically the best thing I can note... 
Sometimes I just need a pat on the back. 
Forcing myself to doodle when I get stressed
or annoyed with my novel.
#importantreminder
IT'S TRUE THO
Appreciating good characters, one scribble at a time.
"Wouldn't they be all refined and posh? #pinkieshigh "
Everyone knows, the higher your pinkies are, the fancier you become.
Literally me trying to get my characters to do what I want... 
"What is this oh-so-important, life altering parchment? A cookie recipe?
Because #relatable "
Just so I don't forget to cry later...
I have 5 other novels to edit. 

 Thumb Thumb 


Before the Glass: 82,000

The Extraordinarys: 50,000

War Games: 51,000

Beyond the Glass: 61,000

The Sky and I: 25,000-ish

All of that is waiting to be edited...

Image result for stressed gif

Since I am doing NaNoWriMo, I am going to be taking part in all of the bloggy NaNo events and tags because I don't like to be left out, and GOSH DARNIT, MY MOM SAID I HAVE TO BE INCLUDED. So there. 
This month -- because of NaNoWriMo, other commitments, and the amount of times I hear myself say "I have no time for anything" -- I am deciding to take a step back from blogging. All I'm going to post is NaNo related stuff. Do not be alarmed when I am not posting every 4 or 5 days. I have not been held hostage or started a career in hermit-ism, I'm simply taking a break. 

This is my third year doing NaNoWriMo, and I am confident that I can conquer it once more.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? Do you have any tips on how to edit 6 books at once? Do you have any tips on how to maintain any shreds of sanity? (Jk, we're way past that. There is no hope for me now.)
Toodlepip

Comments

  1. Hahaha - THIS! I love the idea of just going through and scribbling all over your manuscript with marker! Can't wait to do thiiis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! It makes editing more fun. :)

      Delete
  2. I like your idea of re-writing. It's super productive. I decided that when I finally decide to do NaNoWriMo, I will be a NaNo rebel and finish whatever story that needs to be completed. (okay, that idea was given to me as advice from a YouTuber but shh)

    Is your middle name Grace? Whoa, there are so many bloggers with the middle name Grace. Myself, included.

    Those comments you made on your manuscripts were very amusing, I must say ^^

    Ooh, and I'm guessing you watch Superwoman, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, that's a good way to go. It can be so much less intimidating than starting a whole new novel that you don't know as well.

      Why yes it is! It seems to be a popular one (and a beautiful middle name, if I do say so myself).

      *bows* I'm here all week, folks.

      I have, yes, but I'm curious, what gave it away? Did I accidentally slip in a quote without realizing it? Or are you physic? ;)

      Delete
  3. This was an awesome post my friend.
    Same here, loved the scribbles. Because really! Everyone needs a bit of sass. Am I right?
    I wanted to know, how did you make or get your book covers? I love them!
    Elie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I just found a photo on Pinterest and added the words in Picmonkey. They're not official or anything, just better than nothing. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I LOVE Picmonkey! I use it all the time. I'll have to think of that next time I make a book cover. =D

      Delete
  4. Wow, you go girl! Editing 6 books at once? I can hardly glance at my novel without tears in my eyes. JK...but really. I failed at NaNoWriMo this year, but there's always next year. :) Good luck on the editing process. STAY VIGILANT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And YOU CAN BOUNCE BACK FROM ANYTHING!! I will. ;)

      Delete
  5. WOAH EDITING 6 BOOKS?!?!? I really admire you for doing that!! I hate editing.😂 It makes me cry. I basically rewrite everything when I edit and then cry and then eat cake and rewrite everything again. (Also the sassy commentary on your own edits is #winning, clearly. I do that for my outlines and it's fuuuuun.)😂 GOOD LUCK WITH THIS AND MIGHT I JUST SAY THAT YOU ARE HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU. IT'S VERY HARD. My editing process includes hiding under my bed and eating cookies, waiting for the world to go away.
      *bows* Thank you, thank you very much.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)

Popular Posts