Thursday, November 24, 2016

Just For Fun - Because We Can

A week or so ago, I noticed a decline in comments on a couple of my posts. Then I got to looking at other blogs and their comments. How do they have so many? Even blogs that have just started have upwards of 25 comments.
Image result for it isn't fair gif

My thoughts were as follows:
- Wow, what happened to my comments?
- I wonder if my views are down.
- THEY ARE.
- Pssh, whatevs. I'm sure it's nothing.
- But what if it is something...?
- WHAT HAVE I DONE? I HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
- Stop overreacting, you weirdo.
- I'm sure it's normal to go through ebbs and flows of views.
- *sneaks over to all the blogs I follow*
- Nope, it's just me. They all have tons of comments and views. 
- I'm sure that's normal. I mean, they have been doing this for...
- 3 WEEKS? What? How do you already have 1000 followers?
- This is unfair.
- Why does my blog matter if no-one reads it?

Obviously I was overreacting because YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE READ IT! *waves* Hello. But it really brought up something that I think needs to be addressed. Now I'm not saying that just because I wrote this up, the world will become magically fixed and we will all live in harmony, though that would be the ideal situation...


What happened to doing things just for the sake of doing them? 

All of my life, I have been told that I can make a difference in this world. All of my actions should direct me towards a future of reaching thousands with my words of wisdom. At least that was what I thought...

Recently I've been running into this problem more than ever before. A short while ago, when I was editing my novel (which is the source of all my mental issues), I started down a dangerous thought process. I started to think "what does my novel matter anyway? No one's going to read it. Why am I writing it? Should I even keep going?" 

Excuse me, I just need to go back in time and hit Past Me over the head with a brick. 

  • I was deciding I was going to fail before I even started. Who says that my work won't become the next Harry Potter? Who says that no one is going to read my books? They might become as famous as Lord of the Rings! Or I could fail and crash and burn, my literary career dying a horrible and fiery death.
  • What does it matter if no one reads my work? I love writing, so why shouldn't I do it? 
  • If it makes me happy, what does it matter whose life it changes?

This seems to be a popular theme in our society. We all get so caught up in trying to be the best person we can be and to make an impact on the world. We've been fed stories of people with great destinies doing amazing things with every moment, and now we strive to be those heroes. 

I definately believe that it is great to want to use every moment of your time wisely, furthering your life and blessing others around you, but SERIOUSLY, what happened to doing something for no other great reason than because you love it? 

That's the whole reason why I started this blog. I was just a wee little lass who loved writing about her day and who didn't care if others read it or not. It's so easy to get caught up in views, likes, all the people who see your work, and who you can reach with it, but I want to take a step back. I want to start doing things, not because that's where my talent lies or because it can help others (though you should help others as much as possible), but because I simply want to do it. Because it's fun. 

You know what? Even though all my stick figures look worse than caveman drawings, and I don't actually know what all the letters on the drawing pencils mean, I'm going to draw the best gosh-darn flower I can. For no reason. 

What do you do "just for fun"? And do you agree with me? Do you like drawing? Why did you start your blog (if you have one)? (tons of questions to choose from here. Look at me being all accommodating...)
Toodlepip

20 comments:

  1. "Even blogs that have just started have upwards of 25 comments." Goodness, I know, how does that even happen? The whole blogging community's comment/follow process sometimes makes me a bit anxious. I think you're right in that, at the end of the day, we should be creating content because we love it, and we want to express ourselves. I think there's an unspoken emphasis on appearing perfect or popular, but what really matters is doing the thing for the thing itself. Thanks for writing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It's true though. XD I'm just glad that I don't rely on this blog for anything other than a fun outlet for my thoughts. :) As I'm sure someone said at one point, "There is no greater purpose than to live life loving all that you do." And if no one has said that yet, then I claim it. ;)

      Delete
  2. I identify with this post very much. :D I definitely agree -- I like the idea of earning money doing things that I love, but even if I never do they'd still be worth doing! I started my blog for fun, to have an outlet for writing, and to clarify my thoughts on movies for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an ideal world, all the bloggers who work hard and take time to create quality content would be millionaires, but for now, we'll have to settle for simply loving what we do. :) And blogging is definately a great way to work out what you think on different subjects. Goodness knows I have used it that way many a time.

      Delete
  3. AGREED! I hear so many people saying they write because they want to help people or make their lives better and I'm like, "How can you even handle the pressure of that???"

    It TERRIFIES made to think what other people would think of my writing! Personally, I think we should aaaaaalll be writing as if NO ONE will ever read it. Like a journal.

    Lastly, I've been blogging for two years and have less than thirty followers, if that comforts you at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Also, one thing that I have been trying to keep in mind is that I am not writing to please anyone else. I know what is right for my novel, and I shouldn't try to make it into anything it is not.

      We should start a club with t-shirts and meetings on every Tuesday. The "Blogging Veterans With No Recognition" club. XD

      Delete
    2. Cool! What shall the slogan for our T-shirts be? You can be our president... I'll be secretary. :)

      Delete
    3. How about "No Views, No Problem. We Press On." ;)

      I accept the title of president magnanimously and graciously. *bows*

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I'll draw for fun. My last attepts were mermaids at 11:30 at night, and for my skills I guess they turned out ok. Drawing or coloring are good stress relievers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun! Drawing/coloring is definitely a great way to clear the mind. :)

      Delete
  5. The main reason I started my blog was to give people YouTuber recommendations but my blog seems to be hard to find :(

    I agree with making blog content for your own sake. But sometimes when your blog hardly thrives, it can be hard:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's also a problem when people can't really find a blog easily.

      For the record, I adore your blog. <3

      Delete
    2. Say whaaat? So you're one of the Americans who silently read it xD

      I'm glad someone likes my blog <3

      Delete
  6. I color in adult coloring books just for fun. I read books and watch movies just for fun, though sometimes also for more serious reasons. I try new recipes for fun, too.

    I also draw a little bit, though haven't done much serious drawing for a long time. But it's fun!

    I started my blog because I wanted to see if anyone was interested in my thoughts. At least, I think that's why -- it's been 14 years, so kind of hard to remember anymore.

    I try not to take blogging too seriously, though sometimes I get caught up in the same whirlwind freak-out as you were -- "Wait, two weeks ago I was getting like seventeen comments per post, and that thing I posted three days ago already has only two comments! I'm a failure! I've lost my touch!" Or "I loved this book and write a heart-felt post about it and tried to show just how mind-bendingly wonderful it is, and no one at all has commented! No one cares! I'm a failure! I've lost my touch!" It happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE COLORING BOOKS. *ahem* I definitely am a fan of coloring. It's just so relaxing!

      Wow! 14 years? That's quite the accomplishment! I can only hope that I will be blogging for that long, too.

      Yup, those times of doubt are inevitable. It's what you do with them that counts. ;)

      Delete
  7. Yes yes and yes! I play piano and write poetry, even though I know I'm not going to do anything seriously with my piano and my poetry is just for me. But it's still worth it because poetry helps me in ways nothing else can, and piano is just so /beautiful/. I love to create music through my fingers.

    And just so you know, ebbs in comments are normal! I mean, I haven't been blogging for suuuuper long, but I have certainly seen the tides. Don't stress about it. It's nano, too. A lot of readers probably don't have the time to comment.

    Regardless, keep doing this blogging thing! Keep doing what you love. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piano is one of the most relaxing (and sometimes stressful XD) ways to spend one's time. I adore it. And poetry is so beautiful! Especially when you have a poem that you're proud of, and then you can read it and think "I created this. I am a genius."

      That's a good point. I keep forgetting about NaNo even though I am in the thick of it. XD

      Yeah! I wouldn't dream of stopping. :) I tried to step back from my blog for November because life was pretty crazy with Thanksgiving and NaNo, but I couldn't stay away.

      Delete
  8. Great post! It's so hard to not get caught up in followers, comments, etc. I get that feeling often, that I started doing something 'cause I loved it but it turned into something else. I need to get back to the fun stuff! This post was a great reminder. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It's not fun when you're doing it for others. You have to do it because you love it. :)

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)