What Writing Has Taught Me (Basically, I Am A Genius)

I finished my first novel in October of 2014. I will never forget the date or the feeling. It was something I'd been working towards for 2 years.
Ok, as NaNoWriMo approaches, I have become more dedicated to writing my current novel. And guess what?? GUESS WHAT???!!!
I finished it.
That's right. As soon as I wrote the last words, I did this weird pterodactyl screech and started doing my victory dance (I do have one). Oh man, I was...am, so excited! I've been working on this novel for about two years. - October 27th, 2014
I have been writing since I was a wee tadpole, and I have lived, breathed, and eaten as many stories as I can. I have become a wise, old sage. Many inexperienced young adventurers have hiked to my door to seek out my wisdom. You can basically call me Yoda. 

patience 
Writing a novel takes time. <-- No truer statement has ever been said. Even if you are a magical unicorn who can write your novel in a day, it will take time to plan, edit, rewrite as many times as it takes, and then FINALLY be finished. 

Writing is the hardest job ever. It takes YEEEEARS (up to 27 dog years) to completely finish, and then publish your novel. Instead of stomping my foot and hiding in the closet until I get what I want, I have had to learn to sit quietly and pretend to be patient.

Image result for i don't like to be kept waiting gif
ME
organization skills
When your tiny little hamster brain has been overrun by malicious little plot-bunnies, your instincts kick in. I don't know about you, but my instincts used to be "TOO MUCH TO THINK ABOUT RUN AND HIDE IN THE NEAREST POTTED PLANT". Clearly that wasn't working for me... I started getting banned from too many bookstores. Then my writer senses kicked in, and I learned how to organize. And I became A PRO.


Image result for i mean, they're color coded leslie gif

adaption
Picture this: It is a beautiful sunny day. You sit down at your laptop, open your preferred writing tool, and begin to write only to find that *DUN dun dun* it's gone. The past 3 weeks and two meltdowns worth of work has vanished. It's only trace is your broken heart.

What do you do? Give up, throw your computer, and eat 12 cupcakes? Yes. 
Then.
You take a breath, think about how much better you're going to make this, and you write, letting the tears on your cheeks drive you to success. You adapt to the situation, and you make it better. You take Life's lemons, and YOU THROW THEM AT LIFE AS HARD AS YOU CAN.


Image result for i win gif

imagination 
To create dragon-princess-assassins, one has to have quite the imagination, but when you exercise  that dazzlingly genius mind, it becomes even STONGER. You just have to be careful that you don't let it become too strong, then it might become self-aware and take over. 

Image result for come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination gif

education
Do you know how fast the average rhino can run? I do.
Do you know what the Moroccan national anthem is? I do.
Do you know how to properly dispose of a dead body? I do.
Do you know the quickest way to fire a crossbow if your hand has been cut off and put in a jar? I do. Do you know what it's like to have probably been put on the government's watch list? I do.

See? Education at it's finest. Writing has been my best teacher of world history, science, and decapitation. It is crazy, and hard, and exhausting, but I adore it. I am very proud of how much writing has made me a better human being.

Toodlepip

Comments

  1. ACK I love this post, Evangeline (plus, that Hermione/Bellatrix gif is spot-on *nods*)! AND YOU FINISHED YOUR NOVEL! HURRAY FOR YOU! *tosses confetti* (also, are you doing NaNo this year?)

    Basically this post was awesomeness. You are a genius *bows*.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! And RIGHT? IT'S SO EXCITING! :)
      I'm not going to do NaNoWriMo this year, but I will definately still be busy working on my novels. :)

      You're too sweet. *blushes* :D

      Delete
  2. Excuse me while I crack up over the education part. XD I mean, obviously everyone should know the Moroccan national anthem AND how to bury a body. They go together wonderfully. *nods sagely* BUT BASICALLY YES TO THIS LIST. Although I've been lucky enough not to have lost any writing. I mean, other than a paragraph or two. But I think I would need at least 94 cupcakes if that happened to me, BECAUSE TRUE TRAGEDY.

    Anyway, excellent post, Yoda. I LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly. Are these not basic facts all young, impressionable minds learn in Kindergarten?

      You haven't lost any work? The fates have truly smiled upon you. *buys 12 boxes of cupcakes* You know, even if you haven't lost any work, cupcakes are just a good idea.

      Delete
  3. OH MY GOSH.
    OH MY GOSH.
    I AM SOOO HAPPYY FOR YOU!! CONGRATULATIONS ON FINISHING YOUR NOVEL. Finishing the first draft can be a huge pain so I am super impressed and you deserve allll the confetti and pizza. GO YOU. Now rest for a thousand years or something because you must be exhausted. xD

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 years later, and I am still impressed that I kept it together enough to finish a first draft. XD

      Delete
  4. I'm just rolling around giggling and cackling like a poodle right now. XP "Writing has been my best teacher of world history, science, and decapitation." LIKE, YESSSSS. I still long for the day when I can have a proper defenestration scene with a particularly annoying character. *sigh* I'm so happy for you that you finished a novel! That is such an amazing accomplishment! <3 Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Ah yes, those pesky scenes where the character just doesn't want to be thrown out the window... What is with them? Why can't they see it's for their own good?? XD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)

Popular Posts