Monday, October 31, 2016

October 2016 Favorites| My Life Is Now Revolving Around Sharks

Quick Update

  •  I kicked off my birthday month with a trip to Starbucks, watercoloring, and browsing an ADORABLE used book store. I have been showered with gifts.
  • I drew in a book. I have written in a book before, but that was when I had another copy to keep in good shape, but for the first time this month: I DREW AND COLORED IN A BOOK. I'm actually really happy with how it's turned out so far, but I'm still shocked at what I have done. 
  • I cut and dyed my hair. 
  • I learned how to make paper stars, and I believe it is my new calling in life.
  • I caught a cold; not on purpose in any way, because if I had known that it was indeed sickness I had in my grasp, I would have let it go. I was sniffling and sneezing while wearing sweatpants and huddled under a blanket in the corner. Have I ever been more attractive? I think not.
  • I turned *an age* (not that I'm uncomfortable with sharing my age on the Internet, I just like being mysterious), so you can expect a post about all that because I am conceited like that.
  • I dressed as Tonks for a Halloween party, and it was really fun (though I don't know how accurate or well-made it was). I ate a million mini-gummy bears and felt like a sugar driven toddler running around. 
  • I went on a birthday vacay (which I will post about in the near future) and had ALL THE FUN. It was great.
  • GUYS I HAVE A POTTED PLANT NOW. I am officially a boring grownup. 


Book
Image result for nimona Image result for outrun the moon Image result for some kind of happiness

Nimona: I CAN'T EVEN EXPRESS HOW ADORABLE THIS WAS. Honestly, I was dying of laughter the entire way through, not to mention how sweet it was. I'm hoping to do a review soon (but we'll see). It was such a surprise! I had heard nothing about it, and then all of a sudden, I was reading it, AND IT WAS THE BEST THING EVER. 

Outrun the Moon: (Copied from my Goodreads review because #lazy)Outrun the Moon was a surprise. I had been lowkey avoiding it because 1. San Francisco is not my ideal location for a book 2. I'm not terribly interested in the earthquake of 1906 BUT THEN I READ IT, AND WHERE TO START.

This book features a stubborn, independent businesswoman who knows when to stand up for herself and get what she wants, and also when to bite her tongue and bide her time. She is FIERCE. #lifegoals  There is bribery + chocolate + friendships forged through necessity + breaking the boundaries of race + food + "do what I want" heroines who dive into burning buildings for food (they know what's important in life) + HAVE I MENTIONED THE FOOD. After reading Outrun the Moon, my stomach was growling for beef or oranges or ANYTHING TO SATISFY MY INSATIABLE HUNGER. I was upset with this book for making me feel things, and not the kind of feel things where it's an angelic tear down a porcelain cheek. No, this "feel things" was more like puffy eyes wondering why the author is so mean. I have this thing where I put myself in other's shoes until I am laying on the floor sobbing. 

Some Kind of HappinessWhen I first saw everyone ranting and raving about how great of a book this was, I couldn't help but roll my eyes. 

THEN I FINALLY GREW A BRAIN AND READ IT.

To say that this book impacted me would be an understatement. I walked away with quite a few things. 
First of all, CAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT THE WRITING FOR A SECOND!! The writing is clear, crisp, and oh so beautiful. When we were reading about the Everwood, I wanted to crawl inside the book and live there forever because HELLO MY DREAM WORLD (except for the second half of the book. I've already dealt with that and I will pass on dealing with it a second time). I want to write like that! I want to have the voice of a magical unicorn fairy who KNOWS HOW TO WRITE PERFECTLY.  + CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT IS A+
Even for secondary characters, I felt as though they grew and changed throughout the story, which is not something I see very often.
+ Jack is precious and must be protected at all costs. Do we understand one another?
+ THE DESCRIPTION THO. Let's take a moment of silence to appreciate the beautiful description. Thank you.
+ The portrayal of depression and anxiety was SPOT ON. I related to Finley very much, and I couldn't help but see myself in the words. I used to have "blue days", and I know exactly where Finley is coming from and what it feels like WHICH MADE IT ALL THE MORE HEARTBREAKING because no one should ever have to feel that way. 
I adore this book, and I will probably be buying it (which is a big deal for me because I am poor). 

Music
Image result for brave enough lindsey stirling

I have listened to this album on repeat for the past month. There is not a day that has gone by that I have not jammed out to this. IT HAS TAKEN OVER MY LIFE, AND I AM OKAY WITH IT. 
My favorites are: The ArenaHold My HeartMirage. and Something Wild. 

Go forth, my minions, join me in my obsessive listening. 

Character
Usually I am not drawn to the main protagonist that much, BUT NIMONA IS EVERYTHING. I honestly can't wait to write a review on this.
Image result for nimona

Blog Posts
#SHELFIES + Book Haul by An Odd Blog - Because SELF-PROMOTION (I say that every time, don't I?) and anytime I get to talk about my bookshelf is my favorite.

10 Books From the Villain's Perspective by Paper Fury - Because I'm pretty sure I had read 1/2 of this marvelous list, and the other 1/2 that I hadn't read...I may or may not have checked them all out. Life is short, okay? Read all the books, even if your life is consumed by reading. Or if you have no life (which by the way is a great way to get some more reading time in. I would recommend it). 

I Want To Be Important by To the Barricade! - Because I feel this. It is everything that I have been thinking recently. 

Why I Love Fall// Guest Post by Morgan by Sunshine and Scribblings - Because DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW EXCITED I AM FOR FALL. I don't think you do. And this post just expressed all my thoughts on the matter. 

a bookish post by A Writer's Faith - BECAUSE THIS WAS THING THAT INTRODUCED ME TO NIMONA (which I now adore).

Drink
Image result for books and hot chocolate tumblr

All the hot chocolate money can buy. Or, you know, homemade works too. Since I've been the perfect picture of health (gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, mostly sugar-free, and taste-free), I've had a hard time figuring out a way to replace holiday favorites. But this month I decided that I was going to stop procrastinating put my suffering to an end and find a recipe for healthy hot cocoa. In the end, I made up my own recipe (which is superb, by the way. I am a culinary genius).

Food
Image result for pancakes parks and rec gif

Image result for pancakes parks and rec gif

Guess. 

TV Show
Image result for this is us

I HAVE ALREADY CRIED MANY TIMES WHILE WATCHING THIS. I have so many emotions. It's nothing like I expected it to be, but it gave me a lot that I didn't know I wanted.

Movie

Image result for jaws 1 2 3 4

I watched the first Jaws movie because it is an iconic classic.

I watched the second Jaws because I was curious as to what they were going to do with it.

I watched the third Jaws because I wanted to laugh.

I watched The Revenge because I couldn't stop laughing.

And that has been my month. It went by really fast, and I honestly don't even know how it is November tomorrow. I am convinced there is a mad scientist somewhere with a Time Stealer. Yeah, that's the reason.

Toodlepip

4 comments:

  1. This Is Us looketh adorable and I WANT TO WATCH IT!!!

    Also Lindsey Stirling = YAS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT IS. You so should.

    Seriously though. Her new album is PURE BEAUTY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've definitely heard of Outrun The Moon...

    And since you mentioned Some Kind of Happiness, I'll see if I can check it out, too!

    I wish I could cook more, but ah well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. And yeah! Go for it!

      Usually I get my sister or mother to cook for me since I have no talent in that area, so if a sibling or parents or even culinary inclined friend is available, I would prompt you to use them for all of your nutritional needs. XD

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)