6 Stories to NOT Read To Small Children On Halloween (But you can read them if you want)

Guess what time of year it is? Guess?

Image result for this is halloween gifs

In case you can't tell, I am a fan of Halloween. It is a marvelous time of year where anyone can wear a sheet and beg for food and have it be socially acceptable. In honor of this time of year when I finally fit in, I decided to do a thing. You're welcome.

Image result for ,rs. peregrine's home for

The story by itself isn't creepy unless you have an insane imagination that runs away with you until you're huddling in the closet with a broom as your only weapon. BUT THE PICTURES. The pictures bring it to a whole different level. Especially at night. When you're home alone. And the only light is a weak lamp that flickers. 

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was a really interesting concept with a dash of creepy. It's just enough to make me wonder if I should wait until it's a sunny day to read it... 

 

THIS BOOK, MAN. It's not even like this was a super insane creepy book. It was mostly that there was no explanation why these crazy things were happening. Why is a lumberjack disappearing, and the only trace is a clump of fur and the lingering scream? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? I enjoyed Dreamwood. It goes from "happy-little-girl-looking-for-a-legend" to "run-from-the-shadows-in-the-dark-because-they-are-going-to-eat-you". 

Dreamwood takes a fun idea and makes it a bit darker. I would definitely read this at night if you're looking for a dash of suspense in your life.

Image result for coraline

This is a creepy classic. I couldn't not mention it. I'm sure that the Halloween Police would break down my door and throw pumpkins at me until I gave into the Halloween spirit. I first watched the movie as an innocent little child, looking to have fun in a joyful, colorful world.

Image result for coraline movie gifs other mother
NOPE
I adore the genuinely terrifying nature of this story. The fact that she takes children's eyes!! Isn't this a children's book? Someone needs to remind Neal Gaiman.

Image result for unwind

Unwind isn't so much creepy as it is disturbing. 
The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state, is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.
ALL THE KIDS ORGANS ARE GOING TO BE TAKEN. There is a scene where someone gets unwound (I won't say who because this is a spoiler-free zone), and I must say, it was definitely creepy and disturbing. It was so detached and monotone that it felt like a psychopath was narrating the chapter.

Image result for beowulf book

I know that this is a "boring classic". Beowulf is a marvelous story that I read first as a young eight year old. To read about halls being drenched in blood after the night's battle, let me tell you, is not a memory one easily forgets. To this day, this is the scariest book I've read. It is gruesome and does not leave things to the imagination. 

Beowulf is a classic that I look forward to rereading, if not for the awesome heroics, for the monsters and monster mothers who seek revenge! Grendel's mother is intense, man...

 Image result for dreamhouse kings

SUSPENSE. CREEPY NOISES. SLAMMING DOORS. MYSTERIOUS FOOTPRINTS. This book has got it all... Boy, the way I promote this book, you'd think I was paid to advertise it. I promise I'm not! But I'll stop screaming about it if you buy it for the simple price of $6.99.

House of Dark Shadows gives suspense and satisfying mystery of a horror movie without any of the cheap jump scares or cheesy plot. IT IS EVERYTHING I HAVE EVER WANTED IN A BOOK.

Are there any books you're going to read for Halloween? Will you give any of these books a try? (BONUS QUESTION: What's your favorite part of Halloween?)

Toodlepip

Comments

  1. I LOVE CORALINE. It was amazing and severely creepy. Which is great. Mwahahaha. And Unwind? Omg honestly I'm still traumatised from that and I read it 3 years ago and haven't even finished the series because DID I MENTION TRAUMATISED?!? (I shall finish the series eventually though. I am a brave fish!)
    As for Halloween...eek, I don't do it. I mean, I know some people in Australia do, but I think it makes zero sense haha. But I do like Demon Road by Derek Landy which has some super creepy moments in it! LIKE MAN EATING CARS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coraline is so great. Though my sister will have nothing to do with it and even refuses to listen to the soundtrack. That's how you know that the writer did something right. XD
      UNWIND IS TERRIFYING AND WONDERFULLY WRITTEN, and you should finish it BECAUSE TWISTY PLOT IS TWISTY.
      I've heard some things about Demon Road here and there. I should probably acquire it and terrify myself because why not?

      Delete
  2. OOH, I've really wanted to read Miss Peregrine's Home - it looks so GOOD! I'll have to read it soon :D.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. UNWIND. YAS. I agree with you -- not so much creepy, just slightly disturbing. And very thought provoking.

    Ahhh I really want to read Coraline. And watch it. Is the movie as good as the book? Or stay true to it? Is it worthwhile watching? *throws all the questions at you* xD

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY THOUGHT PROVOKING. That book, man...

      YOU SHOULD DO BOTH. It's hard to compare the book and the movie because they are both so good in different ways. I would say it's definitely worth watching. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)