August 2016 Favorites - The Good, the Amazing, the MARVELOUS, and the Ugly

Quick Update: I went inner-tubing down a river that was quite treacherous; I sustained several injuries, but I am all better now. I went to my first concert and lost all hearing in my left ear found out just how loud it is in the fourth row. I received Harry Potter and the Cursed Child as a gift from my darling brother, and I REARRANGED MY ENTIRE BOOKSHELF TO GIVE IT THE PLACE OF HONOR. #priorities
I realized that I haven't picked up a piece of fallen food in about 5 years because my floppy eared mutant mini-horse beloved puppy is always there to eat it for me. At least he's good for something...
I watched my first episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians. I will not be keeping up. I went on a stunning hike to a hidden lake in the mountains, and it was so beautiful, though the hike up was...treacherous to say the least. I wrote a song that I'm actually kind of proud of  though it will never see the light of day. I swam all the way to the middle of a lake and was only a little bit tired. I was home alone for a couple days, and I adored it. I was able to talk to the tiny voices in my head whenever I wanted. I'M A WRITER... It's okay.
I watched Tangled for the millionth time and still sang along with every second. I went inner-tubing again with my sister and mother. It was much more peaceful than my previous encounter. I went camping to an amazing location somewhere in this earth galaxy, and had a blast.

Book

 
  

The Good. 
Calamity: I couldn't read this fast enough. It had been a lifetime few months since I read Firefight, so there were some things I didn't quite remember at first, but then it all came back. I buckled in and was ready for the action. And boy, did the action happen.

The Amazing.
Illuminae: HOLY HECK, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START. I've seen this book circulating the interweb on many a sunny day, I've also seen it on a couple rainy days. There could have been some hail, fog, depends on where you live.  My point is: The cover of Illuminae is not foreign to me. It was one of those books that I knew I would try out someday, but today is not that day. Well guess what day finally got here? Today! And so I read it. And then I dug a grave for myself and laid down because I DIED. Yes, I am going full-on fangirl here. In the first fourth of this book, I knew that I liked it. It was cool, unique, though I didn't totally get what was happening. Whatevs, it was still a cool book. But THEN I CAUGHT ON AND I WAS SITTING ON THE EDGE OF MY SOFA. It was intense. There was a plot twist that I didn't see coming, and then *screams spoilers into space as to avoid screaming spoilers at the internet* so much happened.  This book has quickly climbed its way into my top 3 Sci-Fi books.

The Marvelous.
The Raven King: As soon as I saw that this book was within my clutches, I promptly screeched and began to grin like a madwoman. Maggie Stiefvater has clawed her way to one of my favorite authors in the whole wide world. I haven't even read this yet. I just got it from the library and I'm already listing it as a favorite because my little heart knows that I will not survive this book. Clearly, that makes it a favorite.

The Ugly.
Don't let the pretty cover fool you.
I am not listing this book as a Favorite. I am posting this because I would like to take a second to say: Do not follow this book's example. I have written a post on this before because it is a subject I am very passionate about. DO NOT PROMISE ONE THING AND DELIVER ANOTHER. Hold Me Like A Breath starts off as a really interesting twist to a story that I hadn't heard a whole lot. I was genuinely interested in hearing more about the Family Business and organ donating/"borrowing" but then...
(Warning: spoilers)
Book: Intrigue. Gunshots? Uncommon sickness.
Me: Woah, I love this.
Book: Light flirting.
Me: Aw, how sweet, a delusioned girl in her little fantasy world.
Book: Obvious crazy flirting in every scene?
Me: Okay, whatever, just get back to the organs.
Book: AREN'T THEY ADORABLE
Me: NO THEY AREN'T GO AWAY
Book: She iz all alone in NY? How will she survive?
Me: Finally... Back to the action.
Book: She will survive WITH ANOTHER CUTE BOY.
Me: GOODBYE

....Yeah. So that was annoying. I would like to address all the young, impressionable young girls in the room. Hello, if a strange man you've only seen once follows you back to your apartment building because he wanted to "check on you", he is probably a serial killer or a psychopath, or a psychopathic serial killer. Do not, I repeat: Do not "want to lean into his touch" when he touches your chin. Pull some ninja moves on that freak and get out of there. #lifelessonswithme
The only good thing about this guy was that the sentence "Can I take you to the library?" was uttered as an idea for a date. Take notes, boys. I also totally called the "major" plot-twist that occurred about 7/9s of the way through the book. Reason: 50% I am Sherlock, 50% get your act together book.


Music
Willow by Jasmine Thomson: I adore this song. Whenever I hear it, I instantly start waltzing with my invisible partner round my kitchen.

Silhouette by Aquilo: I have found myself leaning towards the softer music these days. I adore this quieter, calmer style of music that is so serene. 

Character 
 :


Recently I've been plotting MY MOST FAVORITEST NOVEL YET my most recent novel. No, it's not my favorite, pshh, what would make you say that? I'm not supposed to choose between novels. That's like choosing between children. 

Albicent aka Albi is a hardcore chick who actually has become numb to the world. Throughout the novel she learns the value of emotion, heartbreak, and a well kept AR-15. This is my first Dystopian character, and my first Dystopian novel. Hurrah for Albie!!

Blog Posts
Because I've had this blog post sitting around for a couple weeks and FINALLY posted it. 

Because does anyone else have Thriller stuck in their head now? Just me? Okay.
And also because thrillers are like, my one true love in the world right next to Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and basically all the other book genres. 

Because I actually think about this a lot, and it's reassuring to see that I'm not the only one who wonders this.

Because hello Taylor Swift reference, and this post was so inspiring to me.

Drink
My mother and I went on a date to DavidsTea, and she got some new tea (surprise, surprise) which tastes like magic and unicorns and other happy things. 

Food
ALL THE PHO IN THE WORLD. 



Recently I went to a Pho place near my house and had it for the first time in years. Needless to say, I am hooked.
TV Show
Lie to Me is quite an engaging show. From the first episode, I was sucked in. The first episode was really good (though it may have been morally...questionable), and I knew things would only get better from there. So far they have.


Its balance between action, wit, and "factual" moments is perfect. I will definitely keep watching it.

Movie

I'm watching this as I type, and may I just say: THIS MOVIE IS SO INSPIRING. It makes me want to chase after every single idea and ambition that I have ever had. It has also made me determined to NEVER GIVE UP ON MY DREAMS. 

I really want to go publish every novel I've ever thought of writing. This movie was a roller coaster: I cried, I laughed, I didn't want it to end. I adored how it was shot. Every shot was beautiful and clearly thought out in depth. 

That's it for this month's favorites!!
Toodlepip

Comments

  1. Great wrap-up post Evangeline, I loved it! Also, would you recommend Maggie Stiefvater's books? People talk about them so much that I feel like I should give them a try ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would recommend them depending on the person's stance on: strong swearing and suggestive comments. She writes very real characters, and because of that, there is unfortunately things like that littered throughout. I adore the stories, and I am able to overlook the inappropriate content, and if you are able to as well, I say GO FOR IT!! Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  2. omg. omg omg omg omg. ILLUMINAE. AND CALAMITY. TWO OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS EVER. *cannot stop flailing help*

    Ooh I love that you have a section for music because music is just the greatest. *gasp* And you know the song Willow by Jasmine Thompson? So many people haven't heard of that song but I love it so much. So much prettiness. <3

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)