A Blessing in Disguise

Though my many years of writing, I have become a professional at least somewhat acquainted with things that have to vaguely do with writing. I have learned a lot, and recently I have discovered that I have had one major thing missing.
h
I am afraid to change my novel.
h
How lame is that? Here I am: trying to find my voice, my writing style, and trying to hone my skills, but I am afraid to change anything. 
Last month/the month before/I don't remember because I am basically Dory, I lost about 1/3 of the edited part of the novel I'm working on right now. I was crying, and I was so upset because I felt like it was taking FOREVER. I tried to tell myself (and I quote),
"I know that this could be a blessing in disguise, and I'm probably going to end up being happy that this happened, but this is THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN TO ME RIGHT NOW." - A sneak peek at the private journal of some weird freak who writes in her journal every day. #suchanerd
 

Guess what? I am happy that I lost all of that editing, no matter how awful it felt. I realized that even though I have "edited" my first draft, I barely changed anything other than A LOT of grammatical errors. I found that when I was re-editing the last third, I wasn't as afraid to cut whole scenes and rewrite them. I've been able to feel proud of my work because I know that when I read it, it feels right. I'm sure that I will change it even more because this is only my third draft, but I've never felt proud of my novel before. And to be honest, it feels great.

I've cut some of my favorite scenes, and I haven't had barely more than a second thought to it because I know that something better can replace it. I'm really excited to see how much more will change as I slowly become a writing prodigy. Because that will for sure happen. Definitely.

Do you write? What are some things you've learned?
(and for all my non-writing peeps: What is the most embarrassing thing you've written in your journal?You can share it, I promise. The internet isn't forever. ;) 

Toodlepip

Comments

  1. Wow, nice points! I would definitely agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool!! I'm glad/not glad/but glad that happened. ;) And as far as my most embarrassing journal entry goes I'll just say 'all of them.' They get funnier with age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, looking back I can say that I'm glad it happened. :) And seriously though! I feel like it's a universal thing where people look at back at old journal entries and try to burn them.

      Delete
  3. I've looked back on my old writing and cringed but also didn't cringe that much. I was twelve.... and I had fun writing anyway. I personally don't have a journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to not want to burn all old writing. And most of the time, it's really good for where you used to be. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)

Popular Posts