Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Raven Boys: My Thoughts

You know that moment when you're starting a book, and you can just tell this book is going to be really good?

You know that moment when you're reading a book, and you have to close your eyes and just try to soak up how amazing it is?

You know that moment when you're pretty much ready to sell all of your earthly possessions to get the next book in the series?

I do.

I've recently had the pleasure of reading the first book in The Raven Cycle. I went into this book thinking that it would be a supernatural romance that I would end up getting tired of and throwing out the window. That is not the case at all. It is basically about a legend, a group of friends, and a family of psychics that are precious. I am dead. I need help. Adam is a precious thing that must be protected at all cost. First of all, Adam. WHERE CAN I BUY ONE?!* Second of all, Blue. You adorable, awkward, eccentric darling. Can we best friends? I would like to point out how wonderful this story was. It was a supernatural (not really) mystery. The supernatural aspect was very different, and it involved Welsh kings and mythology.**
All the characters felt very real, but at the same time, they were...extraordinary. They had the life that "ordinary" people could only dream of, yet they dreamed of an "ordinary" life. I loved how funny it was, and the banter was smooth and natural.

* It has come to my attention that buying fictional characters is unrealistic (as they are not real). My plan is to create a machine that will create them out of nothing. I am still looking for sponsors

** Which I was so happy to read because these days, who writes about Welsh kings? Hint: About ten people. And I want to be friends with all ten of them. 

Though, Adam? Steve Rogers would be disappointed in you.


Overall, this was a wonderful, suspenseful, creepy, and adorable story that I can't wait to finish. Book 2 can't come fast enough. Hurry up, library!!

Is there a book that you're adoring? Have you read the Raven Cycle? 

Toodlepip

4 comments:

  1. Well I guess I'm adding this book to my list! Thank you for making the never ending stack of TBRs one book taller. XD I've already mentioned it but "loves enduring promise" UGH I CAN'T GET OVER IT. The little moments are so sweet, the children are adorable, the entire storyline is perfection, the farm sounds like heaven(did I mention this book is about a family on a homestead in the west back in the 1800s?), all of them are Christians and THE CHARACTERS.... can I meet all of them pleeeeeaaaaaseee? Come on sponsors, fund my genius friend. Also I really feel like baking a pie and drinking a cup of coffee and sewing a pretty school dress out of cotton from the mercantile. And I mean, having a barn raising, cooking on a wood stove, having a family, tending to the livestock and visiting wonderful neighbors sound good to me too. Basically all I want is a life that is this book. But I know God has an even better plan for my life and I CAN wait. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Your welcome. And I MUST READ THOSE BOOKS. That sounds like such a wonderful life! And yes, anyone who is reading this who is also a billionaire, please donate the small amount of 59999. Thank you for your contribution.

      Delete
  2. This sounds intriguing ;)

    AND YES. THAT FEELING IS BAE.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)