Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Me Talking About My Characters Because I Lurv Them

Y'all know that I love to talk about my characters any chance I get. So guess what time it is? It's time for another episode of "Me Talking About My Characters Because I Luuurv Them"! aka March's Beautiful People for Writers. For today, I will be discussing Olivia. She is the protagonist of my "black ops meets Downton Abbey" novel: Code Name: Lily Smith
 :
Olivia
What first inspired this character? Is there a person/actor you based them off of?
I never really know what inspires a character. It's like, one moment I'm thinking about whether or not  penguins have knees (they do), and the next I'm dreaming up a new novel. Olivia sort of...happened, like a flash of light. She wasn't, and then all of a sudden, she was.
Describe their daily routine.
She wakes up, gets coffee, and get's ready for school. After school she and her bestie meet up at the bus stop and go to hang out. She stays away from her house as much as possible, and sometimes spends the night at her best friend's house instead of going home.
If they joined your local high school, what clique would they fit into?
The creative nerds, like, photography and drawing.
Write a list of things they merely tolerate, i.e. people, foods, circumstances in their lives.
Her mother, Tanner (at first), all puzzles ever, and sauces on foods.
How do they react in awkward silences?
She tries to make conversation or ends up babbling a bit.
Can they swim? If so, how did they learn?
Yeah, she can swim. Her dad taught her before he died.
What is one major event that helped shape who they are?
Her father dieing in the military, and then her mother spiraling down a dark path.
What things do they value most in life?
She values Adrian, her pictures of her family before death touched them, and a stuffed animal that her father gave her.
Do they believe in giving other people second chances? Do they have any trust issues?
She believes in second chances, but unfortunately, it is she who needs others to give her a second chance. She doesn't have major trust issues, but she is wary of people because most everyone in her life has left/been awful to her.
Your character is having a rough day…what things do they do to make them happy again? 
Drink coffee, hang out at the local bookstore/coffee shop, and watch Disney.
Is there anyone they talk/interact with to get in a better mood?
Beginning of story: Adrian was her go-to. He's been her best friend since birth essentially. End of story: Tanner. He's her government handler, and they become really close.

And that's it! This has been: 
10928109_595959117172101_1450331761_n

Toodlepip

4 comments:

  1. What a great post! I love finding out more about people's writing and characters - I'll definitely be looking at your previous posts :) It sounds like Olivia has had a tough time but remains a lovely person. I can relate to watching Disney movies when feeling down though I prefer tea as an accompaniment
    My Beautiful People Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And she has had a tough time, but she's a sweetheart...except for when she's not. XD And oh yeah, tea is definately a good remedy for when people are feeling down. :)

      Delete
  2. Olivia sounds like such a cool character. I must know her story. Kinda want coffee now too... probably not the best idea this late in the day XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Mary, don't have coffee. You'll be up all night. And thanks! She is a cool character (maybe I'm a little biased though). :)

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)