Sunday, February 7, 2016

"Have you no compassion for my poor nerves?"

I finally did the thing. I watched Pride and Prejudice.


It was odd to see Johanna Mason from Hunger Games and Elizabeth Swann? from Pirates of the Caribbean waltz around with President Snow.

My first impression of Elizabeth Bennet: She's awesome. Anyone who can read while walking and not run into trees is extremely skilled in my book. And her sass!

My first impression of Mr. Darcy: He's a bit of a dandy prat.

"A Miss Bennet, Miss Bennet, Miss Bennet, and, uh, Mrs. Bennet."

Most of the women seem either stupid or very mean. I don't know if that's how it truly was, but if it was...then I am very happy that I don't live in that era.

"What excellent boiled potatoes."

Mr. Collins is CreeperCreepton from Creepville. "It is my intention, if I may be so bold, to stay close to you the entire evening." If that had come from anyone else, it might have been sweet, but Mr. Collins is just creepy.

You know, everybody talks about how romantic and wonderful Mr. Darcy is. His name has become the cliche of a perfect man. I can't find him appealing in any manner. He's cold, withdrawn, and much too blunt and self-centered. I can't imagine how she finds him at all intriguing or attractive.
TV shows and books have ruined me. My expectations and standards are impossibly high.



And Mr. Darcy is a pacer. I despise pacers... They make me nervous with all that walking back and forth. 

Mr. Bingley is the only halfway decent man in this movie. I have yet to read the book, and I'm not even sure I will get around to it, but I imagine it's the same in the book. 

Okay, he did do some nice things for Elizabeth. He may care for her, but his cold and austere actions are not excused. I don't think I'll ever be able to get behind this story because of the ridiculous actions of the characters that I could never imagine being able to relate to. At all.

Though I have to admit, those last couple of scenes were really sweet. I imagine that happening to me, me finding my Prince Charming or Mr. Darcy or whatever you want to call him, when in reality, I wouldn't be a Snow White or an Elizabeth. I mean, if an attractive guy so much as looks at me, it's kind of...

Like this. Exactly like this.
Well, if Elizabeth is happy with Mr. Darcy then good for her.

Anywho, I can finally say that I've seen Pride and Prejudice. ....and it was better than I thought.

Toodlepip

17 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Pride and Prejudice! It's one of my favorite movies :) (Especially this version.) Hehe, I actually really like Darcy. At first I didn't, but as I watched it more, I think I understood him better. He's just shy and socially awkward (like me!). He's actually a very nice person, despite his appearance at the beginning of the film. I dunno. I guess I just like him a lot :)

    Ah, Mr. Collins. He's hilarious, creepy, and, as Elizabeth accurately states, ridiculous. "What excellent boiled potatoes." XD

    I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on this! One of my favorite movies with some of my favorite characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really such a great movie. After having a bit of time to think over it, I've found I do really like Darcy. :)

      Delete
  2. Ok! Congrats for watching this version!! (I have yet to take the plunge. I am a die-hard fan of the 1995 version. Have you seen it?) I don't think that I am going to like it. I mean how can you cram P&P into 2 hours? But I am going to watch it so that when I say that I think it's awful, I at least know what I am talking about!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see the 1995 version. I've heard that Colin Firth is the perfect Mr. Darcy. I'm on a hold list for it at my local library. :)

      Delete
  3. Hahha! I loooooove this version! The adaption (Jennifer Ehle & Colin Firth) is a MUCH more accurate version- That one is the adaption. the Kiera Knightley one is a summary and P&P+Zombies is the Readers Digest version XD ;)
    I just love all the beauty and details in this one. So gorgeous. By the way, you mentioned "Mary Jane" from Spiderman? Just wondering, who are you referring too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see that adaptation! I mean, the more P&P in my life the better.
      I'm really curious about P&P+Zombies because it looks hilarious.
      Mary Jane aka MJ from the Toby Maguire Spiderman movies. That's where I originally know her from even though she's younger in P&P.

      Delete
    2. I think your confused, 'cause Kirstin Dunst (Mary Jane from Spider-Man) wasn't in this movie. Plus the first SP movie came out in 2002 and P&P in 2005, so she would have been older in this one.

      Delete
    3. . Who did you think was being played by Kirsten Dunst? That's what I should have asked. ;)

      Delete
    4. Oh my gosh, you're so right!! I thought that Kitty was a young Kirsten Dunst. I probably should have looked up the cast before just going off of what I thought. XD

      Delete
    5. Oooh I can see that. LOL I was racking my mind trying to figure out who resembled Kirsten Dunst. XD ;)

      Delete
  4. I've seen several P&P adaptions, and while I couldn't stand any of the others, I really liked this one. Even though I didn't love Mr. Darcy in this one, I actually liked him a little, you know, mostly near the end when he wasn't being rude all the time. XD Mr. Knightly from Emma shall forever be my favorite Austen guy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah? I haven't seem Emma yet, but I hope to soon. :)

      Delete
    2. You should! Since it's a four part mini-series, you definitely need to dedicate some time for it, but it's so, so, so good! Probably my favorite period drama of all time.

      Delete
  5. Ahhh!! P&P is the best! But have you seen the BBC version? (it's around 6hrs long so it can be a little daunting) Mr. Collins is absolutely atrocious in this one though, so I give credit to that aspect. All of the period dramas are fantastic, in my opinion, but P&P is probably the best. Kiera Knightley does a fantastic job as always - I can't stop myself from seeing a hint of piratey swashbuckling though... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's settled, I HAVE to watch the BBC one.

      Delete
  6. I tagged you here:
    http://thefloweringvales.blogspot.com/2016/02/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I will be sure to do that. :)

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)