Thursday, January 14, 2016

2015 Recap - Books

I got the idea from To the Barricade!. It looked interesting, so I thought 'why not'.

2015 Reading Stats

Number of books read: 170-ish

Number of re-reads: Too many to count

Genre you read the most from: Fantasy/Sci-fi? 


Best Books of 2015

Best new book of 2015 - Gah, there is no way I am narrowing it down to one. 

Magnus Chase was one that I had been waiting for, and when I finally read it, I couldn't have been happier. 
Airborn was a complete surprise for me. I never expected to like it--or relate to the characters--as much as I did.
The Fog Diver was a nice break from my reading hangover (I re-read Harry Potter and Percy Jackson). The characters and conflicts were all compelling.

Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love, but didn't?
The Throne of Glass series. I had heard so much about these books that I expected them to be spectacular. When I read the first book, it was fine, but it was too obvious that it was a YA book...if you know what I mean. Too much focus on the romance that was immature, unrealistic, and honestly annoying, and not enough focus on the plot that was interesting and had so much potential.

Most surprising book
Black Like Me was a book that I was initially reading for school, but I got really enthralled with the brutal honesty that was displayed over and over in the writing. It was a little bit of an eye-opener for me.

Book you "pushed" the most people to read (and they did!)
I CANNOT EXPLAIN HOW EXCITED I AM!!! So I have a bit of an obsession with Percy Jackson (where else did you think this was going?), and any chance I have to recommend that series, I do. Most of the time people roll their eyes and make empty promises to read the books, BUT some friends of mine finally did. And that makes me very very happy.

Best series you started in 2015
Storytime: I am on Pinterest, and I run across quite a few excited people gushing about a series that I had never heard of before. Keeper of Lost Cities. I google it, and it looks interesting enough, but then I finally read the first book, and I am hooked. The first three or four chapters were a bit slow, but then something clicked, and I couldn't put it down. I quickly read the next three books (in less than four days) and am now patiently waiting the release of the fifth book.

Favorite new author you discovered in 2015
Shannon Messenger fo sho. She is the author of the Keeper series (see above answer). She writes in the same style that I strive for. She is really quite funny and involved with her readers (as much as she can be), not to mention she is a Whovian, Sherlockian, and Potterhead. She is fantastic. 

Best book from a genre you don't typically read
Uglies. This is one that I have grown up hearing about. My sister read it a while ago and loved it, but at the time I was too young to read it. Finally I did, and surprisingly, I enjoyed it. It's a YA dystopian with a powerful and independant female lead who-don't-need-no-man-to-be-strong. Most dystopian books these days (it seems like) are trying to be the next Hunger Games or Divergent, but this book was actually pretty good.

Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year
Probably Keeper of Cities: Neverseen.

Book you read in 2015 that you're most likely to re-read in 2016
Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Heroes of Olympus, Harry Potter, and The Hermit Thrush Sings (which I want to review, one of these days). The Hermit Thrush Sings was the first dystopian-ish book I read, and to this day it remains one of my favorite books ever. The utter beauty of that book...

Favorite cover of 2015

I love this cover because it's so simple, yet it somehow encompasses what the story is about. It has a hand drawn look that is truly beautiful.

Most memorable character of 2015 

First of all, love this book. Second of all, love this girl. I've been reading Hoofbeats since I was a wee lass who got swept away in her sister's love for horses (I still have nightmares about those flashcards, Edna, so...thanks for that). Lara is the exact person I want to be  strove to be wanted to be. She was smart, headstrong, determined, wondrous, and extremely relatable. When I re-read this book, I was once again amazed at what a character she was.

Or Keefe from Keeper of Lost Cities. He is the joker that hides a past/darkness. He made a huge mistake that I am still waiting to find out if everything's okay now. 

Or Batman. Because...Batman.

Most beautifully written book of 2015
Airborn This book just drips whimsy, sarcasm, adventure, innocent romance, and stars. Oh, the stars in this book. The stars become a wonderful metaphor that carries the MC through the conflict.

The most thought provoking book of 2015
Black like Me

A book you can't believe you waited until 2015 to read
*cringes* The Fellowship of the Ring/the LOTR trilogy
Lemme 'splain. I have loved these books for a long time, but I never read them all the way through. I would read them about 3/4ths of the way, and then get swept away by some other book/life/holiday/busyness. I finally read them all the way through. *throws confetti* 

Favorite quote/passage from a book in 2015
"The sky pulsed with stars. Some people say it makes them lonesome when they stare up at the night sky. I can't imagine why. There's no shortage of company. By now there's not a constellation I can't name. Orion. Lupus. Serpens. Hercules. Draco. My father taught me all of their stories. So when I look up I see a galaxy of adventures and heroes and villains, all jostling together and trying to outdo one another, and I sometimes want to tell them to hush up and not distract me with their chatter. I've glimpsed all the stars ever discovered by astronomers, and plenty that haven't been.”

This is from Airborn, and I love how it all just flows together so beautifully.

Shortest and longest book you read in 2015
Shortest: Riding Freedom
Longest: The Thickedy? 

OTP of the year (you will go down with this ship) 
I'm assuming that this means OTP from a book. Excluding books that I re-read *coughPercabethcough* *coughCaleocough* *coughFrazelcough* *coughJaspercough* I actually don't read a whole lot of books that the romance grips me or anything. Usually it's kind of a 'meh' or 'I guess they're cute together' so....
Sophie and Fitz from Keepers of Lost Cities. But if we're talking shows/movies, I could go on forever. 

Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure
...Nada

Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015
...Keefe. I'm a sucker for characters like that. *swoon*

Best worldbuilding/vivid setting you read this year
Definitely Mistborn. That worldbuilding and description... *blissful sigh* T'was gorgeous.  

Book that put a smile on your face/was FUN to read
Here Where the Sunbeams Are Green was just a fun book to read. It had an exotic setting with a dash of mystery and sinister plots. 

Hidden gem of the year
You guessed it, Airborn.

Most unique book you read in 2015
Granted, this is a re-read, but still... Dragonspell has been a favorite for a looong time. It is so unique and utterly fantastical. 

And that's it for this 2015 book recap. Be on the lookout for Pt. 2 of the 2015 Recap thingie, Blogging edition. 

Until then,
Toodlepip 

4 comments:

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)