Monday, October 26, 2015

My Top 5 Sountracks

Here is another unsolicited Top 5 thingamabobber. This time I decided to tackle soundtracks. It took me a long time to decide which ones won out over the others, but I finally narrowed it down to five...with plenty of honorable mentions, of course. :)
Now, I'm not going to put the top five in order because then we'd be here all day, but at least I have a top five.

Treasure Planet
Surprise, surprise. This soundtrack is so beautiful and serene for being a movie centered around space piracy. It reminded me of a 17th or 18th century style mixed with a modern twist. It's a gorgeous soundtrack. One of my favorites in the soundtrack is "Silver Leaves". That song is so touching and fitting, especially for the farewell to such a great character. I mean, he is a pro at speeches.

Now, you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of! Well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day. - John Silver

Is that not just the best speech ever? I kid you not, that has gotten me through many a difficult day.
Overall, I give this soundtrack a five star, glowing review.

Spirit: Stallion of Cimarron
Okay, this movie is unspeakably amazing, as is the soundtrack. It is so emotional, but at the same 
time so epic and adventurous. It really feels like a horse running across the plains of the wild west. There is no better way to describe it than what freedom feels like. It just takes hold of something deep in your gut and won't let go. Whenever I listen to any of the songs, I can recall the exact moment that Spirit begins to narrate again. It melds so well with the soundtrack that it becomes almost a part of the song to me, not to mention that the composer is Hans Zimmer who is a musical genius.  
my favorites are "Canyon Chase" and "Here I Am". This movie makes me cry every time.
Look at that unbridled beauty.
This one gets five million thumbs up and six golden stars.

Lord of the Rings
LOTR is on my top five because of the sheer fantasy epicness of it. And no, I am not going to pick a specific movie soundtrack. We would be here for so long. The score for Lord of the Rings is one of the best orchestral music pieces that I have ever found. The way Tolkien described Middle Earth's beautifully vivid world is conveyed perfectly in this emotional, expressive, and flawless soundtrack. When I'm listening to the score, I can imagine Middle Earth so easily. The score is so beautifully fitted to the film, but at the same time able to be taken for fantasy inspiration without forcing the writer to copy Lord of the Rings. Another five thumbs up. 

Pirates of the Caribbean
This soundtrack is exciting, fun, and adventurous. It has an underlying theme that pulls everything together and makes every individual song seem slightly familiar. It definitely has a bravado and sheer orchestral force that taps into one's emotions and riles them up. Many people dismiss it for not having enough diversity, but I think that it has just enough to make it great. To me, this soundtrack is perfect when writing sword-fights or a chase scene. I give it five thumbs up, five stars, five...children. 

Narnia
The Chronicles of Narnia is a series very near and dear to my heart, so it is no surprise that it made the Top 5. To me, the score captures the child-like wonderment and adventure that I feel whenever I watch or read the Narnia saga. It balances well the more childish themes of discovering Narnia and the amazement of it all  but also having the darker themes of the villains. It is moving and makes me want to take up arms and fight for Narnia.


Honorable Mentions
The Prince of Egypt!! I love this soundtrack, The musical numbers are also superb, especially "Deliver Us" and "All I Ever Wanted". Ach, that soundtrack is wonderful.

How to Train Your Dragon. I don't think I have to explain this one. It is just such an adventurous and fast paced soundtrack. It's, for lack of a better metaphor, like riding a dragon. 

The Amazing Spiderman!! This one is a more sci-fi, action style, but it's just as good as any of the adventure, fantasy soundtracks. "Saving New York" inspired one of the larger battles in a novel I've written. I love this soundtrack and recommend it wholeheartedly.

Well, there you have it. My Top 5 Soundtracks.

Toodlepip

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure this counts, since you're doing movie soundtracks, but we mustn't forget Skyrim. XD Also I totally agree, I adore the Spirit soundtrack, it's so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we must never forget Skyrim. I'll have to do a game soundtrack one. :)

      Delete
  2. *Olivia faints from the sheer perfection of everything, from the new header to the soundtracks to the CIMARRON GLORY to just YES*

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)