Bravery in the Unexpected

Caution: Spoilers from Harry Potter. If you have not yet seen/read this wonderful story, then I do not suggest you read this post. Farewell.

...Why are you still reading this? There are spoilers!

Are you gone yet? Good.

Bravery in the Unexpected aka Why Neville Longbottom Had His Own Story

We are all the main character in our own eyes. Life feels like it revolves around us because we can only see through our eyes. There isn't a person that we revolve around and know that they are the "main character".

In fiction, there are roles cut out for each character, hero, villain, sidekick, mentor, etc. but that doesn't mean that they each have to have a personality that perfectly conforms to the stereotypes. A villain can be compassionate, a hero can act villainous, and a sidekick can act heroic.


Neville was the hero of his own story. He didn't sit back and act like a side character, he took up the sword and slayed the snake. He didn't care that Harry was supposed to be the one who did heroic deeds, because everything didn't revolve around Harry for him. Even though he was a side character, for a few moments, he was the hero.

So when you're writing your characters, don't make them just one thing. Let them be the hero of their own story.

Toodlepip

Comments

  1. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, YES! Neville is one of the most underrated characters in the entire series.

    I so loved it when you learned that Harry both was, and wasn't the chosen one because of Neville. The only reason he was special was because Voldemort made him so in his own eyes, and I think that's perfection. I love how Neville could'a been the chosen one (also, Voldemort was his own downfall which is also epic in itself).

    Also, I love how we wasn't good at magic at first for a reason. Like, that was ingenious. And in case you did know exactly what I'm talking about, I'll explain so it's not confusing. :) Neville was using his father's wand for almost the entire series, and the wand chooses the wizard, so it wouldn't cooperate with him. Once he got his own wand, he got much better very quickly. Also it was kind of a metaphor for how his family expected him to be great like his parents, and once he let that go he could be his own person. But ya, I seriously love Neville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love that even though he's a side character, he was so close to being the Chosen One.
      And I'm amased at how much thought and detail JK put into all of her characters and backstories and metaphors, and EVERYTHING. It's really inspiring.

      Delete
  2. I think the point of the snake-chopping scene (while awesome), wasn't meant to show that Neville had finally become 'heroic' per se, but that he had been a hero all along.
    You can track a development though, oh definitely. He starts out very alone, with only his aunt, not many friends, and damaged self-esteem. He finds himself having to face a past that he had no part in, and a very dark and worldly past at that. It's clear that he considers himself to have no clear talent or to be academically bright. He doesn't even feel that he is really worth standing up for.
    The only thing that was ever sure about Neville was his bravery in the face of all of that. Putting Snape in drag, standing up to his friends, to Malfoy, that, at least to me, it was no surprise that he had continued his good work when he stepped up to the plate so readily after Harry left. It just underlined what had been happening all along.
    And his interests form, and his finds such life in them. Neville has some of the best development out of anyone, but, for my money anyway, he was always a hero. (Thanks, I always love talking about glorious can-do-no-wrong Neville).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree. :) Neville is one of my favorite characters of all time.

      Delete
    2. I wholeheartedly agree. :) Neville is one of my favorite characters of all time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)

Popular Posts