How to Stop Writers Block

All writers know the feeling. They sit down, ready to write on their laptop/notepad/scroll/etc. but for some reason, nothing feels right. All the words feel clunky and flat, that is if you can even get words on the page, wishing you could write something, anything!,(no, I do not care how grammatically incorrect that was) that would feel good.
Well, boy are you in luck today. I have the cure for every road-block and every bad case of writers block that ever existed or ever will exist! All it takes is one, simple phrase.

Writers Block is a delusion.


Let me say that again. Writers Block is a delusion.

Before a mob of torch wielding writers come to tear down my door, screaming that the condition is very real, let me 'splain.

For a long time I believed in Writers Block. It was the Joker to my Batman, the Moriarty to my Sherlock. I always hated it and wished to overcome it, but strangely enough, without it, I didn't feel like I was experiencing the whole writing package. I didn't feel like a true writer. So I accepted it into my life, even though I hated the feeling that it left me with. I looked at all the ways to beat writers block, scanning Top Ten lists and scouring These 5 Easy Steps..., feeling very writer-esque. And no matter how different these sites were, no matter how many dancing chickens were pointing at the main points, and no matter how many awards these blogs and writers had, they all had one thing in common.

They didn't give an answer.

Sure, they gave plenty of ways to get inspired, to take a break, and they offered theories as to why Writer's Block was affecting me (in this case, the me refers to every writer). I would sigh, roll my eyes, and come to the conclusion that these bloggers/writers just didn't know anything worth my time.

Well, one day, out of the blue, I had an epiphany.
That week I had been having a particularly bad case of Writers Block and I was sick of it. I told myself to drop the act and realize what I had sort of knew all along.

Writer's Block is a sham, an illusion, a delusion that preyed on a natural human action...or rather, non-action. Laziness. Writers Block was invented by a man (or woman) who just wasn't feelin' it that day, but didn't want others to think of him (or her) as any less of a writer. So s/he created Writers Block.
Writers Block indulges the part of a writer that just wants the book to be written already. Whether we know it or not, Writers Block, no matter how unreal it is, has a very real effect. It worsens our writing.

#1. We allow ourselves to look at our bad writing and say, "Meh, the writing is bad, but it's because of Writers Block, not because of a flaw in my actual writing." They pass it off as a temporary 'condition' that they will eventually overcome, and soon, their writing will be flowing just like a mountain spring.

#2. We let the writing daunt us, and instead of daunting it right back, we take a break. We don't get right down to the problem and push through, We stop, blame it on something imaginary, and walk away.

#3. Writing is like a muscle, you have to exercise it for it to get stronger. If we let our writing stop for a while, what will happen? Do you think the muscle will keep it's same size? No. It will slowly reverse, going back to how it was before.

Don't get me wrong, having a dry spell is a very real thing. You can maybe not be on your A game if your brain is all brained out, if you're stressed and can't think straight, or if inspiration just isn't coming. That's normal. We just can't let it get to us and keep us from writing. If we wait for the dry spell to be over, it'll take a while.

So, here is my final statement. You stop Writers Block by realizing that there never was a Writers Block to begin with. You sit down, and you push through. Even if your writing is awful, it's still better than nothing. And the sooner you get all the awful out, the good will start to make a guest appearance and then become the main show once again.

Toodlepip

Comments

  1. This is actually very inspirational, and makes me want to write every day. I've been failing at that, quite obviously. But I shall come up with a game plan, so I can write something each day. Even if it's as lame as just one sentence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I wish you all the luck in reaching your goal! :)

      Delete
    2. The end of 'The Voyage of Mordor' was playing as I read the last bit of your post here, and it gave it a very inspirational touch. Thanks for this post Evangeline. I think I needed it for this up coming Nanowrimo. =)
      Thanks again.
      Elie

      Delete
    3. Yes, I was writing it more for me than anything, but I'm glad that it could help inspire you in any way. And Voyage to Mordor always makes anything inspirational and epic. ;)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like very type-specific advice. It's possible to take a break without damning your writing abilities, and it's good to acknowledge that giving yourself space isn't always bad. I do get what you're trying to say, making excuses is bad, but Writer's Block may exist for another reason, perhaps even personal. If someone can't write anymore, it could be more than just an off day or laziness. I think there are more shades of grey to this topic than I'm hearing.
    It's an interesting beginning, anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree that taking a step back from writing is okay. If it's personal, then it's personal, it's not Writer's Block. By this post, I mainly meant don't have something happen in your life where you want to take a step back, or you are feeling lazy, and call it Writer's Block, you know?

      Delete
    2. I do agree that taking a step back from writing is okay. If it's personal, then it's personal, it's not Writer's Block. By this post, I mainly meant don't have something happen in your life where you want to take a step back, or you are feeling lazy, and call it Writer's Block, you know?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)