Mistborn Review/Random Thoughts.

Well, I finally read it. After hearing what such a great book it was, after seeing it everywhere, and after finding that I no longer had a to-read list, I succumbed to the urge to read the Mistborn trilogy. It was awesome. Granted, I have yet to read the second and third due to pesky library hold lists, but the first was epic!! I have so much good stuff to say about this book and honestly not that many bad things. Okay, first the review, then random thoughts.

Summary: Courtesy of Google.
In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more?

First Impressions:
I was confused by the opening, and I feel like the point it made could have been worked in other ways. I did like the intro to Vin though. Kelsier is a charming troublemaker with a good heart. I liked the touch of ash falling from the sky. It made the world stand out from all the other worlds that I have read about. The whole political aspect felt very authentic, and I liked how it had that real world aspect. There was romance, but what I really liked about it was that it made sense. I'll go more in depth in a sec. The magic was what really set this book apart for me. It was what made me really like it.

Overview/Rating:
Overall, this was a well written book with great characters and even better setting. It all felt very unique, but not like the author was trying too hard. It was awesome. I give it a four star rating.
See? Four out of five.
Random Thoughts__________________________________________________________________

Lets start with the core of what made this book stand out to me. The Magic. What I liked so much about it was that is wasn't magic. It wasn't a mystical force that was almost forgotten about. It had different kinds of magic, some common, some not. Allomancy was the most common. Allomancy is essentially where one can take a metal: i.e. iron, zinc, brass, bronze... And they can "burn" it. It enhances some ability that they already posses, hearing, strength, awareness, and many others.
Allomancy is so cool because it feels so real, like it could happen a bit more plausibly. It was just epic.

Now onto the romance. It wasn't overbearing or flooffy (really? That's the word you chose? Flooffy?). It had purpose and direction. It furthered the plot and was sensible. That is the romance that I like, when it serves a purpose and isn't there to just be there. Yep.

It would be pretty cool to be an Allomancer. And to be a Mistborn... I really want one of those capey thingys.

And that ends the random thoughts.

Toodlepip

Comments

Popular Posts