Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Part of the Club

The Bookshelf Tag~
Two blogs that I follow have now done this tag and I am starting to feel left out (not really). I decided to do it. Here goes.
Describe your bookshelf (or wherever it is you keep your books-it doesn't actually have to be a shelf!) and where you got it from:
Okay, my bookshelf used to be about four feet high and light blue. It was perfect for my room, but then all my books outgrew it and the weight of all the books started to crack it. I had to get a new one. I found my current bookshelf on Craigslist in the free section. It has a couple scuffs and marks, but nothing terribly noticeable.

Do you have any special or different way of organizing your books?
Um, I usually do whatever is aesthetically pleasing to me at the time. I sometimes just sit down in front of my bookshelf and then get the urge to re-organize it. My system is mostly random, but once in a while I'll do from tallest to smallest. 

What's the thickest (most amount of pages) book on your shelf?
Probably Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

What's the thinnest (least amount of pages) book on your shelf?
A Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

Is there a book you received as a birthday gift?
Oh yes. About...10 of my books were gifts. But 6 of that 10 is a series that I got as a set for my twelfth birthday. And then I got the other four for my thirteenth birthday from my siblings. 

What's the smallest (height and width wise) book on your shelf?
Again, that would be A Bad Beginning. That thing is super tiny. If I had Black Star, Bright Dawn on my shelf, that would be the smallest, but it's downstairs on the family bookshelves.

What's the biggest (height and width wise) book on your shelf?
Including height, that would be The House of Hades by Rick Riorden. I got the UK cover (it was cheaper), so it's taller than any other of my books. For some reason, most of the UK books I've seen are a lot taller. 

Is there a book from a friend on your shelf?
Yeah, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban I think it was. A friend just gave me her extra copy when I said I was looking for that book. It was unexpected and incredibly kind. So, thanks. ;)

Most expensive book?
Most expensive in general? Or just most expensive that I bought? The most expensive book on my shelf is The Blood of Olympus. But the most expensive one I've bought is The Mark of Athena at fifteen dollars. I usually either buy my books used for five dollars or have a gift-card or something, so it was quite a strange feeling to see fifteen as the price of one book. But it was worth it. :)

The last book you read on your shelf?
That would be a book called The Summer of the Gypsy Moths. That one was a gift from my sister. 

Of all the books on your shelf, which was the first you read?
Auralia's Colors. That book is so rich in description that I have read it so many times and it never gets old. It helped me see what good description really is and how to really paint a picture.

Do you have more than one copy of a book?
Nope, I used to have more than one copy of three books, but I sold them for more money so I could buy more books. I got the copies from Amazon who messed up an order (sending me two instead of just one) and then one copy arrived damaged so I got to keep the damaged one as well as the newer one. Then I received a gift of a series set but I already had the first book of that series. 

Do you have the complete series of any book series?
Oh yeah. I have 9 completed series.

What's the newest addition to your shelf?
The Unwanteds: Island of Fire

What book has been on your shelf FOREVER?
The Giver

What's the most recently published book on your shelf?
The Blood of Olympus. It came out in October.

The oldest book on your shelf (as in, the actual copy is old)?
The Sea of Monsters. I've had it for ages. I even had it before I had the bookshelf or started collecting my favorite books.

A book you won?
Nope.

A book you'd hate to let out of your sight (aka a book you never let someone borrow)?
All of them. Just kidding, I'm willing to let all of them out of my sight. Just because if the person is being lent the book, then I know they will take care of it, so I am okay with letting go of any book on my shelf. But the one I am most hesitant to let go of is a book called Waiting for Normal. It's very dear to my heart because #1 it was a gift. And #2 it is a story that when I was younger really impacted me. 

Most beat up book?
The Lightening Thief. I've read it a million times so the cover is showing a lot of wear and tear.

Most pristine book?
Island of Fire since I got it in late October and it had just come out. 

A book from your childhood?
A Series of Unfortunate Events. It was the first series I ever completed and I loved it with all my heart. It was so whimsical and quirky, yet it was terribly depressing. These Baudelaire kids just couldn't catch a break from all the horrible things that happened. And I loved the building plot. At first it seemed like each book was just another adventure, but then as I got older and reread the books, I could detect the building plot. It was a wonderful story.

A book that's not actually your book?
The Sea of Monsters. It was left at my house by an old friend and then we lost touch with that friend and so the book just stayed at our house. I claimed it as my own. That was actually how I discovered Percy Jackson. 

A book with a special/different cover (e.g. leather bound, soft fuzzy cover etc.)?
Not really.

A book that is your favorite color?
Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone. I got an odd copy that I can't figure out where it came from, but the entire cover has a bluish grayish look to it. Blue is my favorite color and I think that's as close as I'm going to get.

Book that's been on your shelf the longest that you STILL haven't read?
Oh no, it doesn't go on my shelf unless I have read it and loved it. The shelf is a badge of honor for a book. It says that that book was good enough to make it past inspection, it is loved. All the books on my shelf have been read at least twice.

Any signed books?
Unfortunately I have no signed copies.

And there it is. Now you know everything about my shelf. What you will do with that information I have no idea. 
Anyways, I feel much better now. I am a part of the Bookshelf Tag club.
Toodlepip

2 comments:

  1. This is all very important information. :)

    While reading through I realized I accidentally missed the question about a book being my favorite color! So I went and added it in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun question. It took me a while to come up with an answer for it.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)